Arlesey Town FC

Arlesey Town FC

Sourbridge v Arlesey

by Chris Sterry

Arlesey Smash Glassboys

Saturday 14th December 2013

Calor League Premier Division

Stourbridge (0) 0.Arlesey Town (1) 2 Gate 328

..........................N’Guessan 29

..........................Hatch 86

Ref- Mr G. Taylor

Bookings: -. Stourbridge: - Kyle Haynes

.................Arlesey Town: -none

Arlesey M.O.M:- Jack Bonham


Dean Coleman, Kyle Haynes, Will Richards, Jamie Oliver, Sean Geddes ©, Nathan Bennett,

Ryan Rowe (Knight 60), Leon Broadhurst (Francis 60), Keyelden Brown, Ben Billingham, Luke Benbow.

Subs:-, George Washbourne, Chris Knight, Andre Frances, Dan Preston, Sam Tye.

Arlesey Town

Jack Bonham, Andre Maltay, Luke Abraham, Stefan Powell (Tavernier 79), Jeanmal Prosper, Kevin M’Bala,

Jonny McNamara (Basmel 88), James Hatch©, Jo N’Guessan, Barry Hayles (Farrell 81), Martel Powell.

Subs:-, Stuart Farrell, Jordan Ivey-Ward, Christian Tavernier, Hallelujah Basmel, Adam Lawrence.

After Stourbridge’s resent great Cup run this always looked a difficult fixture. Arlesey were without Rohdell Gordon and Harold Joseph who were unavailable so Stefan Powell came back into the starting line up along with Jeanmal Prosper, whilst Stu Farrell went onto the bench along with fit again Jordan Ivey-Ward and Christian Tavernier. Arlesey had a renewed confidence from 2 good wins in the week v Bedford and Banbury.

On a very blustery day on Stourbridge’s wide open pitch the home side as was expected started strongly. A good diagonal ball in by Kayelden Brown was well claimed by Jack Bonham in front of Ryan Rowe. Stourbridge were pressing forward well but a break by Arlesey came as Jonny McNamara put a great ball forward the found Jo N’Guessan breaking trough but Dean Coleman was quickly off his line to close down the danger and the shot went just wide of the post, but it was a great chance.

More good work by McNamara fed N’Guessan in again but this time he was stopped by a great tackle in the box that resulted in a corner. This was headed out as far as James Hatch who volleyed the ball back into N’Guessan whose shot was again blocked for a corner, but this time Coleman claimed Hatches shot.

On a good counter Ryan Rowe latched onto a long ball out but his shot went into the side net of Arleseys goal as he was closed down. Luke Benbow also made a good run into the Arlesey box and got off a shot that was well stopped by Bonham, whilst as they tried to keep up the momentum Brown put in a good cross that was well taken by Bonham. From the kick out the ball was picked up by Rowe who attacked into the box but his shot across goal was wide of the far post as Bonham came out to block him.

This was developing into a very good game of football as both sides passed the ball around well trying to find a way through. From a throw in from Hatch Jeanmal Prosper had a good header that went just wide and Martel Powell worked a good move with Barry Hayles whose shot was blocked but the loose ball came back to Prosper who hit a shot that was well taken by Coleman.

The break through came with a great passing move as Hatch passed onto Hayles who fed in N’Guessan, he worked into the box beating his defender before coolly shooting under Coleman for the vital break through and a well deserved goal for 0-1.

Get Adobe Flash player

As Stourbridge pressed forward to try and get back into the game Benbow was well stopped by a good tackle by Stefan Powell and Sean Geddes worked well into the box before hitting a good strong shot that brought a great save out of Bonham as he pushed it over the bar. From the corner Will Richards headed wide of the post. Benbow again won a corner as he was tackled by Andre Maltay, but this was well defended by the increasingly confident Arlesey defence and it was brought out by Martel Powell on the counter who found McNamara but as he cut into the box his shot was well blocked by the defender. Just about the only mistake of the afternoon from the Arlesey defence came from a mix up between Kevin M’Bala and Bonham but Bonham recovered really well falling on the loose ball and snuffing out the danger to keep Arlesey in front as the half time whistle went.

Arlesey started the second period with a good chance to “put the game to bed” as Hayles fed N’Guessan into the box but his shot went just wide of the far post. Stourbridge countered as Brown made a good run into the Arlesey box from the left wing but his shot was well blocked by Maltay and cleared. Stourbridge were now pressing forward well applying pressure to the Arlesey defence. Benbow put in a good cross that just missed Brown and Billingham had a shot the skimmed wide of the post. With Arlesey defence looking well organised and Stourbridge trying to find a way through the home side made a double substitution with Chris Knight replacing Ryan Rowe and Andre Francis replacing Leon Broadhurst.

Arlesey managed to weather the storm and gradually started making more counters again. Hayles picked up a loose ball on the wing and drove into the box before hitting a shot hat was blocked for a corner which was cleared after a few headers between the attack and defence. McNamara fed in Hayles who hit a good low shot that was just wide of the target.

The home side were still asking questions at the other end, a good long shot went through everybody bringing a good save out of Bonham as he must have seen it late and Bonham made another good stop from a deflected free kick. Stourbridge kept up the pressure as Brown cut in from the left and shot wide and Geddes had a good shot that was again well saved by Bonham. From a Stourbridge corner M’Bala got in a good clearing header. The only bad tackle of the game came as Kyle Haynes went straight through Jo N’Guessan on the half way line and he must have been a little relieved when the card shown him by the ref was only yellow.

Arlesey replaced Stefan Powell with Christian Tavernier to put fresh legs on in the middle, and within a minute they thought they had made the break out as McNamara accelerated into the Stourbridge box on a break and was pulled down and the ref pointed to the spot.

After the penalty miss in the previous game Jo N’Guessan stepped up to take the spot kick and hit a strong shot but Coleman wet the right way pulling off a great save to push the ball wide, Hayles reacted first and picked up the ball but his turn and shot saw the ball go over the bar.

Arlesey replaced Barry Hayles with Stu Farrell as Stourbridge still pressed forward and again on the break N’Guessan ran the length of the pitch and played a good interchange with McNamara before winning a corner. From this Prosper got in a firm header that was cleared.

Benbow got in a good shot from the edge of the Arlesey area that brought another great save out of Bonham; again they swiftly broke out playing the classic counter attack game and again N’Guessan made a run into the box and hit a shot that went just past the post. The ball wasn’t cleared out properly by the keeper and was delivered back in for a header from McNamara that was saved by Coleman but not collected and Hatch was quickly in and he got in front of the keeper to volley past him and make it 0-2 with just 4 minutes left of normal time.

Arlesey replaced the hard working McNamara with Hallelujah Basmel as the game moved to a conclusion and defended a corner tightly before in the 2nd min of added time Hatch looked through from a good ball but Coleman beat him to the ball to clear. That was just about the last action of a game that saw Arlesey well worth all 3 points with quite possibly their best performance of the season.

This was the icing on the cake of a good week for Arlesey with the 3rd win on a week and the best game which is their best sequence so far this season and it looks like the new manager has now got things working well with some good football being played and more importantly Arlesey have again discovered the joy of winning games.

Next up we have 3 difficult looking home games in a row as on Tuesday Hungerford come to town followed by the long trip up from Cornwall as Truro come on Saturday and then the traditional Boxing Day match as we entertain near neighbours Hitchin.

Chris Sterry

Opposition Match Report

View Match Centre »


Back Row: Luke Benbow, Dean Bennett, Jamie Oliver, Ryan Rowe, Michael Briscoe, Andre Francis, Adam Ward

Middle Row: George Washbourne, Henry Eze, Jordan Fitzpatrick, James Dyson, Ashley Green, Nathan Bennett, Dean Coleman, Leon Broadhurst, Aaron Drake, Will Richards, James Spray

Front Row: Paul Lloyd, Drew Canavan, Richard Drewett (Sports Therapist), Jon Ford(Assistant Manager), Gary Hackett (Manager), Mark Clifton (Coach), Steve Johnson (Goalkeeping Coach), Ben Billingham, Sam Rock

The Glassboys fell to their first home defeat for three months against a strong, athletic and hard-working Arlesey si... View Match Centre »

Other Premier Division Results

Poole Town 2 1 Redditch United Att. 224
Stourbridge 0 2 Arlesey Town Att. 328
Truro City 0 0 Corby Town Att. 386
Hitchin Town 1 0 Biggleswade Town Att. 371
Frome Town 1 4 Chesham United Att. 182
Burnham 1 0 St Neots Town Att. 124
Cambridge City 7 1 Bashley Att. 251
Chippenham Town 0 3 Hemel Hempstead Town Att. 337
Banbury United 0 0 Weymouth Att. 325

Team Sponsors