Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ashton United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Ashton United
North Ferriby United
Wed 7 Mar 19:45 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Full time Attendance 101

Unbeaten Run Ends in Controversy

Report by Steve Lee.

Ashton United’s long unbeaten run ended in a dour battle against an over physical North Ferriby United side that were lucky to end the game with nine men on the pitch yet alone eleven.

Missing the creativity of wingers Matty O’Neill and Mark Peers, Danny Johnson was forced to play utility man Kyle Harrop on the right wing and skipper Danny Caldecott after a long lay off on the left, this meant the majority of Ashton attacks went through the centre, which were food and drink to a resolute Ferriby rearguard.

Aaron Burns did have an early effort after receiving a pass from Caldecott, but his shot went wide and at the other end a route one move with keeper Adam Nicklin launching the ball downfield, the ball was misjudged by the Ashton defence, but Lee Morris’ weak shot was easily saved by Terry Smith.

Nicklin’s next action ought to have been his last as the speedy Burns raced onto a through ball, the keeper unceremoniously clattered the Robins in form striker well outside of his area and seemingly destined for a red card, amazingly the referee instantly issued a yellow despite Nicklin being the last man.

The irony here being Burns played out the rest of the first half, but was his injury forced him not to come out for the second half, whilst Nicklin carried on regardless.

The resulting free kick saw Matty Kosylo shoot wide before he too was victim of a savage tackle from behind by Russell Fry that the referee didn’t even think warranted a card. Burns was wasteful with the free kick on the edge of the area as he fired well over the bar.

Caldecott was felled by a two footed lunge that had his Ashton team-mates in uproar, somehow the referee only seeing fit to give the home side a free kick after a lengthy stoppage.

Ashton had a couple of chances as the half grew on, Burns turned sharply onto a pass from Harrop only to see his shot easily saved by Nicklin, who then produced the save of the match to tip over a George Melling header from a centre by Harrop.

In between, Smith managed to tip away a shot following a clever turn from Gary Bradshaw and then Fry was found in space, but his shot went wide.

Ferriby had an early effort in the second period when Fry curled an effort wide, but soon after the Ashton defence was breached as Morris fired home following some good wing play.

For the rest of the game, Ashton tried their hardest on an energy sapping pitch, but found no way through as the Humbersiders produced some timely blocks and defended well as a unit.

Ashton didn’t have many clear cut chances to get back in the game, Kosylo shot wide following a quick break and Alex Frost had a header cleared by Steve Gardner.

Chris Amadi cut inside from the left wing, but Nicklin did well to save at his near post and then Craig Robinson’s header from a long throw from Melling hit the top of the bar.

The remainder of the game was comfortably controlled by Ferriby, who completed a league double over the Robins, but their antics, particularly in the first half left a very sour taste in the mouth.

ASHTON: Smith, Frost, Roberts, Beattie, Melling, Robinson, Harrop (Sanasy 77), Lambert, Burns (Amadi 46), Kosylo, Caldecott (Bennett 70). Subs not used Rose, Murphy

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Nantwich Town 42 57
11. Kendal Town 42 53
12. Ashton United 42 53
13. Buxton 42 53
14. Matlock Town 42 50
15. Worksop Town 42 49
16. Stafford Rangers 42 48

Team sponsors


Club sponsors