Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ashton United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Ashton United
Sat 12 Oct 15:00 - The FA Cup 13-14 Full time Attendance 301

Robins Contribute To Their Own Downfall

Report by David Robinson

Ashton’s FA Cup adventure ended at the Vic Couzens Stadium with an ultimately comfortable victory for the hosts. Things had started so much better for the visitors with only 6 minutes on the clock as Joe O’Neill’s knockdown saw Kayde Coppin fire in a fine finish from 25 yards. The Daniels got into the game as an accurate through ball put Richards clear bringing a good block from Natt Kerr.
Garry Gee then chested the ball down before shooting wide from 30 yards out and home winger Wesley produced Stamford’s best effort to date as he cut inside 2 defenders and curled a fine effort just wide of the far post. With the Robins looking fairly comfortable the equaliser came as something of a surprise – Moyo firing in a cross from the byline which the usually reliable Phillips spilt leaving Smith with a tap-in. Worse was to come for the visitors as Wesley saw his effort blocked by Richardson leading to a corner which found Challinor turning inside in far too much space before finding the far corner.
As the half-time whistle sounded the words of David Bowie over the tannoy sent a message to Ashton: ‘we can beat them, we could be heroes’. Following a couple of half-time substitutions Ashton started the second period in positive fashion and Chris Denham and Matty Burke combined before Coppin fired over the top and Martin Pilkington turned well in the area before stabbing his shot wide. A long cross then found Richardson at the far post whose pull back found Denham firing narrowly wide of the near post.
However, all Ashton’s good work was soon undone as Moyo turned past Lynch before finishing well into the bottom corner. Ashton’s last throw of the dice saw Logan replace Young and it was he who gave the visitors a lifeline as he cut inside and saw his effort deflected past Stevens and Richardson came closest to the equaliser as he back headed Gee’s cross straight into the keeper’s arms. However, with Ashton pressing forward gaps at the back were inevitable and a cross field pass found Wesley free to fire the Daniels into the next round.

Team; Phillips, Richardson, Pearson, Kerr, Lynch, Young (Logan), Gee, Rick (Denham), Pilkington, O’Neill (Denham), Coppin SNU: Abadaki, Halford.

Attendance: 301

AUFC MoM: Kayde Coppin

Referee: Mr Thomas Bramall | Assistant (Red): Mr Paul Dixon | Assistant (Yellow): Mr Martyn Fryer

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors