Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ashton United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Ashton United
Sat 2 Sep 15:00 - The Emirates FA Cup 17-18 Full time Attendance 324

Smooth progress for the Robins

Report by David Robinson

Ashton duly progressed to the next round of the FA Cup thus reversing the score line from the teams’ last meeting and avenging the Mariners’ victory in last season’s FA Trophy. With the Robins looking for another new keeper Ashley Frith stepped in to make his second debut and gave an assured performance only conceding with the last kick of the game.

Frith was tested early on by a shot from distance from Adam Hughes which brought a tumbling save before fellow centre back Grogan tried his luck but to less effect. John Pritchard then had to be alert to cover as Bakkor and Bailey combined up front for Marine and Jack Dyche then almost capitalised on Liam Tomsett’s through ball. The hosts then threatened again as Short’s deep cross was headed back by Bakkor for Smart to steer wide of the near post but on 27 minutes Pritchard’s free kick was headed against the crossbar by Dyche with keeper Barnes recovering well to block Platt’s effort from the rebound but Dyche was still on hand to make no mistake at the third attempt.

An inside pass then saw Murray switch on to his right foot before curling narrowly wide and the same player was then cleverly played into the area by Bakkor but his chip beat both Frith and the far post. Bakkor then continued as provider as his cross saw Murray head a glorious chance wide from close range but after the interval Chadwick reached the by line and saw his cross just squeezed out but sub Alex Johnson soon made a contribution as he reached the opposite goal line and saw his cross touched home by Liam Tomsett and four minutes later a quickly taken free saw Dyche brought down by Barnes with Chadwick confidently tucking the penalty away.

On the hour there were claims for a penalty in the visitors’ area as Edgar went down in challenge with Frith with a corner being the verdict and Josh Granite then blocked Mitchley’s shot on the turn after Bailey had played him through. Tomsett threatened again as a superb turn put him in on Barnes who needed to save with his foot and Murray’s pullback saw Mitchley’s shot beaten away by Frith. The dangerous substitute Mitchley then turned inside before forcing Frith to tip his effort over and Strickland should have done better then to turn Short’s cross over the bar. The final action saw Mitchley dismissed for 2 petulant yellow cards and on the final whistle Grogan’s miscued effort was turned home by Strickland.

Team: Frith, Olapede (Woodford), Pritchard, Granite, Chalmers, Roberts (Johnson 46), Platt, Lees, Chadwick (Durnin), Thomsett, Dyche. SNU: Banim, Smith.

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors