Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ashton United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Prescot Cables
Ashton United
Sat 8 Sep 15:00 - The FA Cup 12-13 Full time Attendance 167

Robins Safely Through

Ashton safely negotiate passage to the FA Cup Second Qualifier. Report by Steve Lee

Ashton United safely negotiated their way into the next qualifying round of the FA Cup at the expense of a Prescot Cables side boasting several former Robins in their ranks.

Coach Dave Powell left Hurst Cross to take over as boss of Prescot, but his hopes of pulling off a shock win were as good as over inside twenty minutes as the Robins raced into a two goal lead.

Ashton had an early sighter on goal when Aaron Burns cross fell to Matty Kosylo, who let the ball bounce before sending in a shot that went wide.

Burns next involvement was to open the scoring with what was a fine worked goal after ten minutes. A ball out of defence fell to Kosylo, his cheeky back heel gave Alex Frost room to provide an inch perfect cross for Burns to send a header past Xavier Parisi.

Prescot were undone in the air again just seven minutes later as Matty Burke produced a free kick from the left that skipper Chris Lynch headed into the top corner to double the Ashton advantage.

Terry Smith saved comfortably from a Jack Webb shot that took a deflection and then former Robins stalwart Ged Murphy was found at the
back post following a corner by Glyn Barker, but couldn't guide his header goalwards.

Ben Deegan and Chris Baguley both had good efforts that were blocked and then a Burke corner saw Frost bravely dive full length to project a header that just went over the bar.

Lynch came close to adding his second of the match as he headed over following a half cleared corner by Burke.

The one sided half ended with another flowing move that saw Tom Baker and Frost combine to set up Deegan, but his fierce headed hit the bar and Cables were able to clear.

Chris Baguley, making his first start for the club had a couple of early chances in the second half, first a free kick went wide and a shot from a Burns pass went the same way.

Prescot managed to disturb the Robins rhythm with some petty challenges and grabbed a goal back when James Thomas free kick from 20-yards crept in at the near post.

Thomas was soon to turn from hero to zero as his attempt to get Danny Caldecott into trouble rebounded as the Cables man got to his feet and saw the referee brandish a red card for simulation.

Ashton continued to look the more capable side and Baguley again tried his luck, but Parisi made a comfortable stop, and then Deegan wasted a good chance with a header that went over after a fine cross by Baker.

Another ex-Ashton man, Chris Rimmer then got on the end of a free kick by Webb but headed wide and then he forced Smith into a good save following another free kick.

Ashton came close to wrapping the game up near the end as Warren Beattie teed up Burke, but his shot took a slight deflection from substitute Matty Barlow, that was enough for the ball to go wide of the post.

Deep into stoppage time Ashton grabbed a third goal as Smith commandingly took the ball under pressure following a Cables free kick. His swift throw to Baker saw the diminutive midfielder race from his own area into the Prescot penalty area, after forcing Parisi out of his goal, he unselfishly rolled the ball to the unmarked Barlow, who finished easily.

The Robins go safely in the hat for the second qualifying round, and aim to continue their unbeaten start next Saturday when newly promoted Grantham Town visit Hurst Cross.

Ashton: T Smith, Frost, Caldecott, Baker, Robinson, Lynch, Kosylo (Beattie 80), Burke, Burns (Barlow 70), Deegan, Baguley (B Smith 70).
subs not used Rose, Mulholland, Harrop, Cheetham Man of the Match: Matty Kosylo

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors