King Edward VI Grammar School Aston was founded in 1883. The first generation of old boys established a Rugby Club in 1889. The Perry Common ground was purchased as a memorial to the 123 Aston Old Edwardians killed in the 1914-18 Great War.
In 1920 AOEFC became founder members of the North Midlands RFU. In 1922, when the North Midlands reached the final of the County Championship (losing to Gloucester) eight AOE's won county caps.
Through the 1930's Aston enjoyed particular fame in sevens - losing finalists in the first North Midlands competition in 1930, joint champions in 1931 and champions in 1932, '34 and '37.
During WW2 AOE combined with Camp Hill OE; a link recalled in the annual "Teddy Parker" Cup game. A large grandstand was built as a memorial to the 70 old boys killed. When it burned down, insurance money helped build the squash courts.
In the 1970's, playing membership was opened to non-old boys and our first Sunday Colts sides were established. Over half the record setting sides of 1989 and 1991 came through the Colts.
1988/89, the Club's 100th year of rugby, proved to be most successful to date, with 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV's all setting new records.
But 2002/03 saw still greater success, as the 1st XV were champions of Midlands 3 West(N) and won the North Midlands Cup for the first time. The North Midlands Cup was retained in 2003/04. We have twice reached the final of the North Midlands Shield in the last 3 years, losing to Bournville and Old Halesonians. Following the league reorganistaion, we now play in Midland (West) 2 North.
Midlands Division » Midlands 3 West (North)
|12||Aston Old Edwardians||15||0|
Last updated Sunday 25th January, 22:25