1940s & 50s.
As the Second World War ended, Old Mannerians rugby started up again. John Oldfield and Peter Allsop were prominent amongst those responsible for the renaissance, both eventually being made Life Members in recognition of this.
The traditional Mannerians strip was not available for some years after the war, so the team took to the field in navy shirts with a single white hoop. The first game of the 1945-46 season saw the 1st XV take on the Army team that was stationed in Bakewell. Home fixtures were still played at Lady Manners School, and were initially confined to local matches against Old Baileans (now Matlock), Ashbourne, Buxton and Dronfield, before expanding to take in Wath-on-Dearne, Rolls Royce, Mellish, Boots and Rotherham, plus regular fixtures against Sheffield Extra 1st XV.
The only exception to this was an annual fixture on Easter Weekend against Burton-on-Trent, which was always played on the Showground. One of these games saw a spectator, Dr. Pye-Smith, suffer a broken leg as he was hit by John Oldfield flying off the pitch during a particularly hard tackle.
Despite this, Dr. Pye-Smith, who was involved with the owners of the Showground, lobbied for the club to get a pitch in the Centre Ring on condition they took out insurance to cover such things. Hence the early 1950s saw the start of Mannerians ongoing association with the Showground.
The post-war side was blessed with many talented players. The mighty front row of Cliff Smith, Mike Sellors and George Hallam was feared locally, the majority of the team featured in Derbyshire colours at one time on another, and Burt Hannaford, Graham Hodgkinson and Pat Roe all represented the 3 Counties.