It all started in 1930 as Park Modern Old Boys. Park Modern was a rugby playing school in the borough and their first headmaster, Bill Easterby, decided that there was enough interest to form a senior side. The school grounds in Rosslyn Road were used in the early years before moving to Barking Park in the 1960’s. The Club continued under the Park Modern name until 1974 when it was no longer a strictly old boy’s team and became Barking Park Rugby Club, and two years later, changed to its current name Barking RUFC. In 1989 the Club moved to Goresbrook initially with two pitches one of which had floodlights enabling the Club to play and host evening matches. Training facilities were improved beyond recognition from the previous facilities and lighting at the school and park.
Barking gained National League status in 1994 and had their most successful season in 2004 – 05 when they won promotion to Division 2. Unfortunately they stayed only a couple of seasons and it proved to be a costly introduction to professional rugby.A change of direction was required with an emphasis on home-grown players. The 2007 – 08 season saw a new look Barking side made up of home-grown established players and promising youngsters. The team struggled to keep their National League status and only avoided relegation after a monumental victory on the last day of the season against crowned league champions Mounts Bay.