Barwell Football Club

Barwell Football Club


by Murray Dworkin

Barwell frustrated as chances go begging but Chasetown go through in the end.

(Report by Chris Paton)

It was a colder afternoon than was first thought with a sharp wind whistling up the pitch. The match was hyped up by all as Barwell knew they could do what no other team had done all season and turn the unbeaten league champions over. Two goals were required as Chasetown won the first leg 1:0.

Barwell started the brighter with the midfield taking control and creating a couple of half chances. Chasetown responded on 5 minutes with a good shot collected by Leon Oswald.

Matthew Shorrock had Barwell’s first real shot with a daisy cutter that didn’t trouble the keeper.

A bit later Shaun Robinson made the Chasetown keeper work with a finely worked shot.

Chasetown made a substitution on 24 minutes and we can only assume it was for an injury to Tom Brown. Samson Alalade replaced Brown.

Chasetown lumped a very speculative ball into the box allowing a neat header across goal for Karl Edwards to shoot hard at Oswalds midriff. Edwards pounced on the rebound but again Oswald thwarted the striker with an outstretched leg.

Both teams managed to get behind the defence occasionally but offsides ruled out any momentum forward.

A very cagey first half with plenty of action but no real threat.

Half Time: 0 – 0

Nico Moore shot from the edge of the area and saw his effort just sail over the bar 1 minute from the restart.

Again both sides tried to unlock the door for a decent effort but defences were resolute and firm.

Keil Kane played a ball through to Robinson who was unable to control it enough to take a shot.

Minutes later Chasetown’s left back passed a ball across his area only to see Moore pounce but again he was unable to control it and the shot flew just wide.

The Chasetown defence were so tight and compact Barwell’s strikers seemed to be hitting brick walls. Kane again split the midfield with a pass that Alex Ball moved on to Moore who in turn passed to Robinson who unleashed a shot that again just missed the target.

Barwell appeared to be in the ascendancy allowing the Barwell midfield and forwards to move the ball to each other very well. Alas, no real penetration or clear chances due to the Chasetown defence.

Chasetown’s keeper Mark Wiggins hoofed the ball down field allowing James Tomlin to caress it back into the area. Robinson attacked the defender and nudged him aside but a rush of adrenaline made him hit the shot high over the bar.
Perhaps the only clear chance Barwell had forged.

Barwell forced the play but Chasetown were dangerous on the break and again only very good defending from Tomlin & Jordan Pickering kept this tie all square.

Jonny Paton replaced Ball with 20 minutes to play. Both sides again tried to force mistakes but defences stood firm. Barwell again play some great football around the Chasetown area but are unable to unlock that defence.

Chad Degville was a constant thorn in Barwell’s side with some excellent runs down out left. Fortunately again our central defensive pair held firm.

Tom Lowe for Chasetown is replaced by Jordan Archer.

Robinson picks the ball up from Kane and pops it to Paton and with a first time pass bypasses two Chasetown defenders. Moore receives the pass only to be upended and a free kick is awarded on the left angle of the 18 yard box. Defensive play seems to have dominated this match as the ball is cleared. Chris Castle fires it back to Moore who hits a shot inches wide of the post.

With 10 minutes left Barwell get a corner but waste it allowing Chasetown to break.

5 minutes from the death and the Heathcote boys enter the fray at the expense of Tom Lillicrapp & Castle.

3 minutes from time Robinson misplaced a pass to Kane which allowed the ball to go to Wiggins who in turn oikes the ball forward, straight to Robinson who in turn oikes it goalwards. Wiggins moved forward to receive the ball but the bounce beat him and struck the corner of post and bar and bounced out.

That was the point Barwell supporters thought it wasn’t to be. Barwell kept pushing but Chasetown rightly moved into corners to wind down the clock.

Final whistle 0:0.

Barwell were very unlucky as I thought they deserved something out of the match. All of the players gave their all but it was not to be.

Congratulations Chasetown and hard luck Barwell. I have watched this fixture 4 times this season and this is the first match the Chasetown manager has been heard from the side lines. I think that was credit to the Barwell team and the way they played. Very well done to all & bring on next season.

Full Time: 0 - 0

Barwell FC Reserves
1, Leon Oswald 2, Louis Gamble 3, TOM LILLICRAP 4, JAMES TOMLIN 5, Jordan Pickering (CAPT) 6, Keil Kane 7, Chris Castle 8, MATTHEW SHORROCK

12, Conor Hastings 14, James Heathcote 15, Jonny Paton 16, Stuart Heathcote 17, Scott Brown

Attendance 49 (unconfirmed)

I have to say that all played well today. Impressive displays came from Keil Kane, Shaun Robinson & Jordan Pickering. But my Man of the Match was James Tomlin who commanded and cajoled the Barwell players and as all good Generals do, led from the back.

Team Sponsors