Blidworth Welfare Football Club

Blidworth Welfare Football Club

Blidworth Welfare 0 Basford United 2

by Scott Ward

A dour performance as Blidworth slump to defeat

In their worst performance of the season so far Blidworth slumped to defeat at home against an organised and unbeaten Basford United side, Dave Vollers squad had no fighting spirit and looked to have their minds elsewhere instead of concentrating on the job at hand.

Blidworth were without both regular centre halfs Alex Wilford who was away at work and Zak Webster who was injured at the weekend. Defender Robbie Evans was back in the squad though, Keenan Leeds made his debut after his transfer from Calverton MW along with new signing Matt Moult brother of Blidworth striker Tom.

A cloud of fine rain came over the Welfare ground an hour before kick off soaking the ground and making the surface slick for passing, with both teams made the most of this whipping the ball around at pace in midfield. Basford started the better of the 2 sides though but didn’t really create any attacks of note.

Blidworth to be fair played the ball around well but had no real cutting edge as Basford broke down any real moves before they got dangerous.

The first action of any threat came on 33 minutes when Tom Moult found space on the edge of the box for a shot but his effort seemed to take a deflection before going wide, the referee pointed for a goal kick which infuriated Moult and the striker earned himself a yellow card for his dissent.

The incident seemed to spark the game into life as 2 minutes later Basford threatened down the right with Ryan Johnson cutting inside Scott Goody before fizzing a shot at goal which Paul Stanhope held well low down to his right.

On 39 minutes Carl Gould was shown a yellow card for arguing with the referee when he seemed to have won the ball in a challenge. Basford continued to attack down the right and took the lead on 43 minutes when the lively Ryan Johnson drove into the box drawing Stanhope from his line, the winger squared the ball to Tian Walton who had the simplest of tap ins from 8 yards to give the visitors the lead 0-1.

The half fizzled out with both teams looking forward to the break. The second half kicked off with the rain still soaking the players and Basford doubled their lead in fine fashion on 48 minutes when a good pass through the defence by Kev Walker found Tommy Kemp to beat the offside flag, Kemp kept his composure and stoked the ball past Stanhope for 0-2.

On 50 minutes Dave Voller introduced himself for the limping Keenan Leeds as he tried to raise his side and get them back into the game. Basford though pressed forward and Goody was late with a challenge on the edge of the area giving Basford an opportunity which they wasted.

On 59 minutes Christopher Shelton cut in from the left at pace and rolled a lovely pass into the path of Voller who’s low shot was tipped around the post by the Basford Keeper. Basford took the opportunity to make 2 changes and it seemed to slow the Blidworth attack down.

On 69 minutes Voller lunged in for a tackle on the edge of his own area and gave away a free kick to the visitors, the shot was a powerful one which Stanhope made a diving block but could only knock the ball down to the onrushing Basford substitute who somehow managed to put his effort wide of the open net.

2 minutes later Blidworth won a corner which was drilled into the near post for Keir Webster who connected well towards goal; his header beat the keeper but was cleared off the line. Basford again made a change on 76 minutes and a minute later Webster was booked for a challenge from behind on the player.

On 80 minutes good work by Matt Moult created a chance for his brother Tom, Moults shot beat the keeper but again it was cleared off the line by the Basford defence. Basford started to kill the game off, wasting time and playing the ball around making Blidworth chase the ball and Craig Gould was booked for showing his frustration in a late tackle.

In Stoppage time a great run into the box by Courtney Hastings ended with Carl Gould sliding in for a last ditch tackle resulting in him bringing the player down for a penalty. The referee pointed to the spot but let Gould off when he really should have been shown a second yellow.

Hastings stepped up to take the kick but he smashed his shot against the underside of the bar and the referee blew the final whistle before the ball came down from the sky. Blidworth must improve if they are to get back to winning ways when the travel to Nottingham on Saturday to visit Real United on the 3G pitch at Gresham Sports Pavilion, kick off 3pm.


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!

Other Black Dragon : South Division Results

Calverton Miners Welfare 1 4 Sutton Town AFC
Blidworth Welfare 0 2 Basford United Att. 38
Bilborough Pelican 2 1 South Normanton Athletic


or Register to add a comment

Team Sponsors