Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Blofield United FC app


Wymondham Town 2 Blofield Utd 1

3 months ago By Paul Warman

Beavers bow out of Senior Cup

After recording two victories in a row, manager Didwell was able to name an unchanged side, probably for the first time ever, for this Senior Cup 2nd Round tie against Wymondham.

This meant the returning Fulcher along side May & Johnstone took their place on the bench.

Blofield Starting XI: Ian Stones ( c ), Adam Bellingham, Darren Critchlow, Alain Medina, Ryan Frankland, Jack Robinson, Will Bennett, Isaac Mace, Ben Morgan, Orren Oliver, Rob Fryers

Blofield could and probably should have had a penalty in the 4th minute. Oliver chased a ball through and headed the ball past Cork in the Wymondham penalty area only to be seriously impeded by goalkeeper. Neither assistant or Referee showed any interest though and the game continued.

Five minutes later and Wymondham took an early lead. A long diagonal ball from right to left found Moriaty and his cross evaded a number of Blofield defenders as Sam Mallett popped up at the far past to stab the ball home to put the hosts 1 up.

The Beavers responded and Fryers nodded on to Oliver who first time volley was straight at Cork.

Ex-Blofield player Ashley Mitchell, playing at full back for the home side, had started the game well and his long raking past found Blake. The #8 controlled the ball well, went around Stones, only for Critchlow to make a great last- ditch block to prevent Wymondham from doubling their lead.

An entertaining game then saw Critchlow, this time in the opponent’s area, miss time his jump and place his header wide from a Bennett corner.

Not to be out-done, Wymondham responded and in the 25th minute, their left back Antonio-Hall let fly from fully 25 yards, which cannoned off the crossbar and to safety with Stones well beaten.

Armes then fired over when well - placed from a corner.

Blofield were still looking dangerous themselves and on the half hour mark, a flowing move saw Bellingham’s cross evade everyone in the home side’s penalty area.

Sure enough, Wymondham took advantage with a fine goal. The impressive Armes’ 30 yard pass completely wrong footed the Blofield defence and Nixon finished well to put the hosts 2 up.

There was further bad news for the Beavers as Morgan limped off after 36 minutes, to be replaced by Fulcher.

Two minutes later though, Blofield got back into the game. Mace did ever so well to win the ball and ride two challenges on the edge of the area, he poked the ball out to Fryers who drilled his shot past Cork, to make the score 2-1.

There then followed a melee in the Wymondham goal mouth area which ended up with Oliver on the ground clutching his face. They were accusations that hands were raised in the direction of Orren’s face. The referee and his assistant though decided the incident only merited a yellow card to Wymondham’s #5 Baker.

In the final action of this action-packed half, Mallett shot over the bar when well placed.

Half Time: Wymondham Town 2 Blofield Utd 1

Blofield started the half on the front foot and in the 49th minute Bellingham was put through by Bennett whose cross caused panic in the home sides defence only for Oliver to eventually scuff his first time shot wide.

Wymondham responded in the 55th minute as Mallett’s dangerous cross was cleared. Moments later Antonio-Hall’s cross from the other wing saw Nixon head just wide.

In the 68th minute, with May on for Oliver, Fryers came the closest to equalising as Medina’s deep ball saw saw Fryer’s header cannon off the crossbar and over for a goal kick.

Despite having territorial advantage and having most of the possession, the visitors were struggling to create any clear-cut chances and with about 8 minutes left, Didwell made his final change, bringing on Johnstone for Frankland and reverting to three at the back.

The final meaningful action of the game should have seen Blofield force extra time.

A long ball out of defence found May and his squared ball across the area found Mace but from three yards out and the goal at his mercy, he somehow managed to scoop the ball over the bar. The home side comfortably saw out the remainder of the game to clinch a 2-1 win and a place in the next round.

This was a frustrating afternoon for the Beavers who can count themselves unlucky to be on the wrong end of a couple of Referee decisions which could have swung the game into their favour. This is the first time I have seen the team in about three weeks and there was a definite improvement in their level of performance. Manager Didwell now will they can continue this improvement in the league and look to move up the league table.

Best of Luck to Wymondham in the next round and many thanks for your hospitality after the game
Blofield face the long trip to Scole next weekend, kick off 2.30pm.

The Reserves, with many personnel unavailable again, suffered a humiliating 8-0 defeat away at Gayton Reserves.

Updated 08:32 - 9 Oct 2018 by Paul Warman

Where next?

First team at home in early season 'six pointer' Reserves make short trip to the UEA; Tomorrow nights Oktoberfest is a sellout
First team through to next round of Senior Cup Mace's double helps Beavers to first win of the season

Video Advertising


Loading comments

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Sat 26 Jan
First Team Norwich CEYMS
League 14:00
Reserves Mundford Res
League 14:00
Sat 2 Feb
First Team Wymondham Town
League 14:00

News sponsor


Club sponsor