Although there was a rugby club in Blyth during the period 1921 - 1937 the game disappeared from this soccer mad town until the creation of the current club in 1961.
This re-formation was principally achieved through the efforts of Peter Daley and Bernie Cranmer. The former was a player with the original Blyth club and who had achieved considerable playing success in the pre-war years. The latter was a Rugby Union enthusiast from Lancashire who stayed on in Blyth after wartime service in submarines based in the port. Despite being well past playing age he bubbled with an infectious enthusiasm for the game which he instilled in others. Bernie was particularly keen on the development of colts and it was probably his efforts in this area which saved the club in its early years.