4th XV, Dragons - Match centre

Broughton Pk 5
Littleborough 3
Sat 25 Feb 14:15 - Raging Bull Plate 11-12 Full time

Its a Long Way to the Try Line

Report by KO'B


Sorry about the title but I am sure that’s what we were singing on Saturday at the Victorian evenings entertainment bash. Well in fairness on Saturday afternoon it certainly was the case because all the tries were scored from inside our own half when the try line seemed a long way off.

The previous weekends two games had taken its toll with six of our regular players, Anton, Ben o’B, Bish, Deep Heat, Nkosi and Jamie TS picking up injuries and unable to play. Fortunately the squad has grown and it gave an opportunity to other players to make a name for themselves and so it proved. I was very worried about Leo, especially following his night out last Sunday when Shack decided to take him and some of his housemates in to Manchester to a certain place on Deansgate where the ladies take their clothes off. In fairness Leo seems to have benefitted but his housemates are still in shock, as for Shack his credibility went out the window years ago. On the way to park I picked up Bill who told me he has now settled down with a young female who cooks, washes and looks after him very favourably and he has now become more chilled out than ever (if that’s possible) She has also shown him how to catch a ball, run and score a try. (In fact four on Saturday) Top Girl in fact I think I will send a few more lads around, including myself, to see if we can all benefit.

Saturdays game was always going to be difficult and at the beginning it proved that way. In fact for the first fifteen minutes all we did was tackle as Littleboro kept running at us and retaining the ball well. Our tackling was good especially by Yonner,James Durkan, Dave Goley, Kami and Shack. The first score came when we got a penalty in our half and KOB found Cesaire with a traditional lobbed pass and as Ces drew the last man on the edge of the 22 he fed Bill to score 7-0.
The second try came after good work by Mike Bentham & Barts down the blind side who fed Bill who fed back inside for Kegs to score 14-0.
The just at half time more good ball won by the forwards then Alex Heasel & James Durkan pinching ball and moved along the backs for Bill to appear on the other wing and get an inside pass from James Cooley to score 21-0. There was one more play of the first half and from pressure on our line Littleboro went blind but the pass was intercepted vitally by Yonner. Now 95 meters is a long way to go so after 5meters he decided boot to ball was a good option. Unfortunately the ball just went in to touch otherwise Bill had an easy pick up and score.

Half Time 21-0

The start of the second half was no different to the first as we were attacked by Littleboro but the defence held out and from one breakaway Cesaire ran 75 metres to score. 28-0. We then lost Barts to injury so on came James Ellis with Bill moving in to the forwards. Not long after this Littleboro did get through our defence to score under the posts with a strong run from the No 8 but surprisingly the conversion was missed 28-5. We then had two tries in quick succession from Steven Durham in his first game back for two months since he damaged his ribs. The first one was from a good break in our half to then beat the full back on the outside to score 35-5.

We then brought our returning captain James Mac (who just appeared in the dressing room before the game with his kit) on for James Cooley. We also brought on Steve Millington for Leo. Steve Dunhams second try came from a break from our 22 good hands in the backs and we were stopped just short. Steve picked the ball up and squeezed between two tackles to score. 42-5. We then made our final change with Adam Stevenson making his debut and yes you guessed it FRANCO coming onto the pitch to stiffen up our forwards or something like that. James Ellis then scored after good hands from out half way line and good off loading put him away to just beat the cover to score 49-5 The last two tries both came from Bill the second one from a mazy crossfield run, the first from good passing from James Durkan and Shack. The first was converted 56-5 the second wasn’t – poor effort. 61-5. The final play of the game was Shack on a 40 metre run of which only 20 was forward and with everyone in support calling for the ball he did not know which option to take and cocked it up!

Final score 61-5

A good solid performance especially in defence takes us through to the Semi final. The draw has been made and we have a home game against Tydelsley on Easter Saturday. The other game is between Macclesfield 4’s v Lymm 4’s

But for the next few weeks it is back to the league and hopefully we can patch up one or two of the injured players.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors