Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Buckingham RUFC

View

History

1947/48
As with most sports, Rugby Union took a back seat to the war years and Buckingham Rugby Club was no exception, playing no games during that time. In 1947, the club was reformed and played on Cornwalls Meadow, an area now more commonly known as Budgen's car park! The land is owned by a Mr. Harry Ward, who lived in Llandudno. The headquarters was what is now the White Hart Hotel and subs were 10s 5d whilst the VPs paid from 10s 6d up to a guinea (21/-).

1951
At the AGM, there is the first mention of Mr. Anthony Smith, our current president and someone known more fondly to us as Tiger. The President then was George Morgan, father of Alan. The Chairman was Ernie Floyd, the Treasurer was Mr. C.J. Rabett from Westminster Bank who recorded a balance of £38-14s-2d to be carried forward. At the same meeting Mr. R. Wheeler proposed that they cancel the game for the 15th September, owing to the late harvest and it was carried!

1953
The period in the early fifties was not a good one for Buckingham. With the euphoria of playing again after the war now as good as gone, the Chairman Ernie Floyd reported at the AGM "The future of the club must be seriously considered owing to the lack of players". It was in this season Tiger took over as Fixture Secretary from F. (Rickie) Avister, a position he holds to this day!

1954
An extra-ordinary meeting was called to consider the future of the club. It was eventually agreed to soldier on, especially as they were just seeing the first light of major support coming from the Royal Army Ordinance Corps based at Tingewick. It was agreed that, to encourage the ongoing support from the army boys, the team should consist of 10 Buckingham members with at least 5 RAOC members. Not surprisingly Lt Col D.A. Oxenbury was also elected President of the club.

1955
The first Ray Longland XV v Buckingham

1958
Things are getting better. Ernie Floyd reports at the AGM that their last season was the best in the club's history: Played 29, won 15, lost 13, drawn 1. Between February and March, all 8 matches were won, scoring 184 points for with only 21 against. This was to be the last AGM at the White Hart as it was agreed that the club were to join up with the Buckingham Town Cricket and Sports Club for the next season. It was also agreed to buy 6 international Super Heavyweight shirts from Lillywhites for £9 14s 6d

1962
An extraordinary meeting was called by 8 members to discuss the club holding social activities and even an annual dinner. It was also agreed that they will start up a 2nd XV.
--------------------------

There is now a bit of a gap for about 6 years due to the lack of AGM minutes books.

--------------------------

1968
The 3rd XV Cavaliers are founded

1973
Best season ever! Under captain Eric Curtis, the first team won 33, lost 5, drawn 1, points for 872, against 291. They beat such teams as Milton Keynes 30-6, Leamington Ex 1st 28-12, Aylesbury 'A' 18-9, Banbury 24-6, Olney 22-6, Bicester 20-3, Bletchley 10-9 and drew 19-19 in the Longland game.

1974
Visit of Chalondry French RFC. Won 42-6.

1975
History repeats itself and the Mitres (Buckingham 2nds team) go back to Cornwalls Meadow to play. We are not getting on too well at the Cricket Club - complaints regarding beer throwing etc. In short the clubhouse is not big enough for us. For this reason, this year the annual Dinner Dance and Club Dinner is held at the Town Football Club.

February: 4th XV (Bishops) is formed with Captain David Spicer and vice Captain Richard Smith. They beat Milton Keynes 126-0!

March: Discussions take place regarding the possibility of buying or leasing land from Harry Hutt situated next to the Cricket Club.

August: Mini Rugby is discussed and agreed on. This is to get underway by October

September: Relations with the Cricket Club deteriorating. R.J. Longland dies. Its decided to hold an annual memorial match in his honour.

1976
Completed arrangements to lease Harry Hutt's field. Mini rugby now running very successfully. A Super Stare event is organised at Cornwalls Meadow which is won by a member of the rugby club, Paul Conroy. The Annual Dinner is held at the Bell Hotel, Winslow.

1979
April 22nd: The Official Opening of the R.J. Longland Field next to the Cricket Club.

1981
Discussions with Buckingham Council about a 3rd pitch on some of the land at Stratford fields (over the river at the bottom of the cricket grounds). In August the council grants us a 2 year lease (no rent) for this land. It was at this time that AVDC (Aylesbury Vale District Council) was also making available on to the market some land at Maids Moreton. Due to the diligence and forethought of the following chairman, Anthony Flack, his "Task Force Commander" John Houseden and President Vic Rogers, one of the most significant decisions in the club's.
history was made - to buy the land at Maids Moreton. On 7th October, 7.4 acres were purchased at auction for £21,000. This is the land that we still own and play on to this very day.

1982/83
Major work takes place on the new ground, leveling, new drainage, stone removal and grass sowing. Vic Rogers arranges a Terrapin building at Leslie Hartridges to be donated to the club and work commences to strip the interior and lay foundations at the ground. Chris Wood miraculously transports the building from Bath Lane to Maids Moreton where it is placed on its foundations by a large crane. By 3rd September 1983, the interior is fully refurbished and the pitches complete, ready for the first games to be played on the Maids Moreton fields in our Golden Jubilee year. On September 28th we officially celebrate this anniversary with a game against Olney, the club's first ever opponents, drawing 8-8.

1985
First Presidents XV v Buckingham University Town Gown Cup, presented by Bob Wheeler. Ernie Floyd celebrates 50 years with the club. In November the club entertains Steaua Bucharest RFC who have 111 Romanian caps between them. Steaua win 24-6. On Sunday 8th December, the Moreton Fields are officially opened by Ernie Floyd, to be known as the 'Floyd Field'. This was followed by a match against Llanelli Golden Oldies who won 32-6.

1985-1992
The following years at Maids Moreton see many activities both on and off the fields, including a Donkey Derby, many discos, mud wrestling, stag evenings, club dinners, AGM's, endless committee meetings, the formation of the Vets team (the 4ths), regularly getting out 5 sides on Saturdays and sometimes even 6! There is also the annual 5th team game, initiated by Smithy in December 1985 when we win 23-0 against Wheatley 3rds. This match also raises £180 for a set of 1st team shirts.

March 1989, new brick changing rooms are built, the start of many a transformation at the Maids Moreton ground.

1992/93
This transformation was completed in 1992 when a brave decision was taken at the AGM to build a permanent brick clubhouse. Inspired once again by John Houseden and with the help of the Chairman Will Abbott and a team of dedicated members, within one year it was completed.

Saturday 13 March 1993 we move into the new clubhouse - a remarkable achievement in those times of recession.

Saturday 4th September, we celebrate 60 years of existence at the club's Diamond Anniversary Ball

Where next?

History of League Rugby LEAGUE HISTORY 1987 - 88 League rugby began at Buckingham this season when the newly formed le

Affiliations

Club sponsors