Buckingham RUFC

Buckingham RUFC

Buckingham 17 High Wycombe 14

by Alan Lane

Report by Eric Curtis

Having disposed of High Wycombe in the Semi Final of the Bucks Cup five

weeks ago, Buckingham were expecting a spirited response and it proved

to be so at Maids Moreton on Saturday. The home side victors by just

three points in a game that never reached any great heights but was a

relentless battle with both sides struggling to stamp their authority

cumulating in a mass brawl towards the end of the second half, the

referee handing out one red card to Buckingham and two to Wycombe as

order was restored.


The visitors kicked off and Buckingham gave away their usual early

penalty after three minutes which fortunately was missed by the Wycombe


Two minutes later an Andy White break set Buckingham in motion,

a bullocking run by the powerful Rob Laird was carried on by Adam

Whiter and Tom Amos was in support to score the all important first


Far from encouraging the home side, they proceeded to give away a

string of penalties to the opposition and after another ten minutes of

play Wycombe were 6-5 in front. Indeed if Pat Ockendon had not stolen

the Wycombe lineout ball on the home line things could have been a lot



However Buckingham were again winning the majority of ball in the

loose, and with their backs posing problems it was long before they

scored, Steve Miller going over on the half hour mark after good

interplay in midfield..Wycombe came back strongly as Buckingham

continued to leak penalties and a successful kick narrowed the gap to

one point shortly before halftime.


The start of the second half saw Buckingham making good ground, though

missing a penalty they kept the pressure on the visitors a break by

Dave Hawkins carried on by Adam Whiter deserving better. At the other

end Wycombe were thwarted by a last ditch tackle by Hawkins, then

another by Laird, before a trademark rampaging run by Amos put Temple

Get Adobe Flash player

almost free only to be hauled down on the line.


Buckinghams efforts finally paid off when they scored a deserved try. A

long run by Laird again took him deep into the Wycombe twenty-two, with

the ever present Seth Williams on hand to take the offload and finish

the move. White landing a very important conversion with fifteen

minutes left.

Wycombe immediately came back with a try to make it 17-14 before the

action boiled over in a flurry of punches. After hostilities had ceased

Wycombe forced their way down field courtesy of more Buckingham

penalties and a yellow card , both sides now reduced to thirteen men.


Almost on the stroke of full time Wycombe were awarded yet another

penalty a relatively easy one to draw the game, but to the relief of

the home support the ball sailed wide for a first league victory since

the fifteenth of October.

A tough away game to come at Witney next Saturday before a welcome break.


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!

Other South West 1 East Results

Swanage & Wareham 33 21 Reading Abbey
Witney A A Marlow
Salisbury 41 25 Reading
Olney 10 57 Swindon
Buckingham 17 14 High Wycombe
Maidenhead 46 5 Coney Hill
Bletchley 21 23 Cheltenham


or Register to add a comment