Mens 5th - Match centre

Ashford 5
Burnt Ash 5
Sat 18 Feb 13:00 - Kent Open - Division 2 Full time

Burnt Ash 5’s 1 – 4 Ashford

It was a windy day down at ashford and with the clouds looming on the horizon it boded to be wet as well.


It was a windy day down at ashford and with the clouds looming on the horizon it boded to be wet as well.

Burnt Ash 5’s had to deal with the minor set back after a certain Mudie had stolen the balls….thanks Josh. However a little bit of scavenging and Ash started on the warm up. With only Raman Rai pulling out mid week, due to injury, the enforced break seemed to have healed a lot of the niggling injuries within the side but perhaps that was wishful thinking. Ash started in their usual manner, attacking from the off. However Ashford were having none of that and immediately forced them onto the back foot. Ashford were stringing pass together and only the rear guard actions of Burnt Ash were keeping them at bay. The midfield 5 providing some protection but were still being split too often. Ashford were looking the sharper and hungrier side, winning more 50/50 balls and generally keeping Burnt Ash at arms length. When Ash did manage to get through the midfield they ran head first into the centre back. Ash best chance of the half came when they finally passed it past him with Tom Griffiths just unable to control the ball fully before attempting to lift it over the keeper. Ashford scored two goals before the half time whistle and in all honesty were worth the two goal lead.

A brief talk about the basics of hockey at half time and a change of formation to plan F (f for f**k it) led to Ash putting a more attacking approach to the game.

The second half began like the first, Ash looking to attack and Ashford having none of it. Ash’s forwards started to come deeper looking for the ball and then injury struck, Ray Mudie forced off with his hamstring injury. Ashford kept driving forward though and in his attempts to retrieve the ball Alex Schofield was driven off following his own hamstring injury down to 10 men Ray stepped onto the field once more and took the point man role. Then further injury struck as Eric Webb was forced off after a clash with an Ashford forward resulting in a suspected broken finger. The resulting penalty corner to Ashford saw them bring the score line to 3-0. At which point Rob Brine took to the field in borrowed top and decided to make a nuisance of himself up front with Ray Mudie taking up a “sweeper” role. Ash finally got a goal when Tom Griffiths burst through the Ashford defence dummied a pass and went round the keeper before slotting in from close range. Ashford restored their three goal lead late in the game.

Overall a disappointing game for Burnt Ash. Must do better next week with a number of players needing to look at their own performances.

Stuart Marchant (GK), Andrew Wald, Eric Webb, Ben Rout, Martyn Wright, Andrew Allen (CPT), Ray Mudie, Barry Lapthorn, Alex Schofield, Tom Griffiths, Peter Steel, Rob Brine


Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.


League round up

Other Division 2 results

Marden Russets 4
Blackheath Heathens
New Beccehamian 2
Old Williamsonians 4
Old Bordenian 6
Cobdown 1
Maidstone Vets
Herne Bay 4
Folkestone 5
Tunbridge Wells Vets


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pd Pts
5. Blackheath Heathens 22 37
6. Cobdown 1 22 37
7. Old Williamsonians 4 22 35
8. Ashford 5 22 26
9. Old Bordenian 6 22 20
10. Burnt Ash 5 22 20
11. Tunbridge Wells Vets 22 15
12. Herne Bay 4 22 2

Team sponsor

Club sponsor