Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Eversley & California Football Club app


1st team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Eversley & California
Lymington Town
Sat 15 Sep 15:00 - Buildbase FA Vase 18-19 Full time

Boars triumph in historic victory

Eversley and California triumphed on Saturday, in a convincing 2-1 home win to Lymington Town, seeing them past the qualification stage and into the first round of the FA Vase - the furthest the club has been in the cup competition in its history.

Match Report by Ben Thomas

Eversley were out the blocks quickly, determined to show their quality and intentions of progressing in the competition. 8 minutes in, a tricky run from Boars striker and captain, B. Brown lead to him being hacked down in the box, earning the home side a penalty. J. Pantony stepped up and with a left footed strike, sent the keeper the wrong way to give the Boars an early 1-0 lead. After this strong start from Eversley, both sides looked sharp, each team having equal possession in the first quarter, stroking the ball around confidently. It was the 19th minute which saw the Boars double their lead, goal scorer J. Pantony bagging a second. An attempted early cross from the number 7 was over hit, seeing the ball fly over the helpless goalkeeper and into the back of the net from 30 yards out.

In the remainder of the half, Eversley and California were defensively solid. Players committed to tough tackles, making interceptions and vital blocks. In addition to this, they looked swift on the counter attack. The next best chance of the half fell again to on form J. Pantony, who used his rapid pace to find himself in a 1 on 1 situation with the Lymington goalkeeper, N. Jones, who closed the angle well and made a quality save. This was contrary to the away side, who were maintained a majority of possession, but their passing was sluggish and lacked intention.

When it came to half time, the Boars 2-0 lead was thoroughly deserved, the game was tight but Eversley were working hard out of possession and their game plan was being well executed. The away side tried to utilise the wings and long ball play but most attempts were easily read and cut out by the lively home team.

In the opening 15 minutes of the second half, the pattern of the game was similar to that of the first. Lymington were still trying to force the issue and Eversley continued to defend well, the desire and hunger to win back possession was evident. Both teams became frustrated with the referee and this came to a head in the 65th minute, when R Slack was sent off for an elbow in an aerial challenge. This changed the complexion of the match entirely, Eversley being down to 10 men allowed the away side to push up the pitch and apply sustained attacking pressure. Despite this pressure, the Boars defence remained concrete, players putting in a shift to adapt well to a change in formation.

Eversley had a great chance to secure the win in the 73rd minute, a pacey counter attack saw B. Brown cleverly slip in J. Pantony, who dragged a shot wide from close. 7 minutes later, the mounting pressure from Lymington allowed them a foot hold back in the game. A long throw into the box was flicked on by R. Bottomly which fell to S. House, who finished into the bottom corner making it 2-1. This made for a tense final 10 minutes. Lymington were still trying for an equaliser, leading to a sending off for a desperate challenge, making the game 10 vs 10. This eased the pressure slightly, but the Boars continued to defend effectively and portrayed good game management in the dying embers of the game, closing a historic 2-1 victory.

The draw completed on Monday afternoon for the first round of the FA Vase means Eversley will face Hordean FC at home in a few weeks’ time.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors