8 matches were played in the seventh month of the 2016/17 season between CUP FC’s two teams.
The 1st team finished the month top of the Senior A table, after three league wins around defeat in the semi-final of the William Cockell Memorial Cup. On Saturday 4th they defeated Soham Town Rangers Reserves 5 – 0 at home. This was followed by two further convincing wins with a 9 – 0 home victory on Saturday 18th against strugglers Great Paxton before a 7 – 0 success at Fulbourn Institute Reserves on Saturday 25th. An under-whelming performance on Saturday 11th saw an early 1 – 0 lead become a 4 – 1 loss at home to Orwell in the cup. Nonetheless a very positive month.
The Reserves had a tricky month with 3 of their 4 matches away, to their furthest three Senior B opponents. On Saturday 4th they lost 4 – 2 at Buckden but made amendments on Saturday 25th winning the reverse match 3 – 2 at home. Saturday 11th saw various injuries suffered on route to a 4 – 1 defeat at unpleasant Wisbech St Mary Reserves; then followed by a well-earned point when drawing 1 – 1 at Lakenheath Reserves.
Notable contributions this month:
1. 22 goals were scored by the 1st team in the 4 matches – by 8 different players. Jose bagged 9, Bradley 5, 3 for Ben, while Jordy was on the scoresheet for the first time in a few months
2. Reserves scored 7 goals again with Scott and Cameron B claiming 2 each, with Jack, Rickie and Sefa the other scorers – all adding to their tallies for the season
3. Shaun keep 3 clean sheets for the 1sts only conceding in the defeat to Orwell, while were the Reserves beaten 11 times in total
4. Much improved discipline saw yellow cards in only 1 game for each team
5. Bubba was the 1sts’ sole culprit; Cameron B, Josh and Kenny for the Reserves
6. The 1st team stayed at 28 players representing this season
7. The Reserves went up 3 to 47 with Damian and Matt making club debuts plus Thom helping out on loan from the 1sts