In the eighth month of the 2016/17 season 9 matches were played between the CUP FC’s two teams, with the 1st's season coming to a successful conclusion.
The 1st team ended the month top of the Senior A table once again with a minimum finish of 2nd place guaranteed, following two wins out of their three matches. On Saturday 1st they beat promotion rivals Milton 5 – 1 at home earning a much-deserved win. Their next match was on Saturday 15th when they travelled to Comberton, knowing a win would secure the title and a defeat could give the hosts an upper hand, which happened as they lost 5 – 0. At least a point in their final match would secure promotion and they claimed all three winning 4 – 1 at home to Royston Town A. A wonderful achievement following a strong season!
The Reserves had one of their best months, winning three of their four home games and only suffering defeats at the two promotion favourites. On Saturday 1st victory was awarded without kicking a ball as West Wratting Reserves pulled out last minute – it was very likely to have been a win anyway. Saturday 8th saw a convincing 6 – 1 win over 2nd placed Red Lodge, followed by 3 points from beating Ashdon Villa 2 – 1 on Saturday 15th and a battling 1 – 1 draw vs Wisbech St Mary Reserves. Wednesday 5th saw a 6 – 0 loss at Bar Hill then a 5 – 0 defeat at Haverhill Borough Reserves on Saturday 22nd – both teams have secured their promotion from Senior B.
Notable contributions this month:
Updated 11:37 - 4 May 2017 by CUPFC Info
1. Jose scored 6 of the 9 1st team goals, extending his tally to 55 for the season. Bradley (2) and Dion were the others to bag
2. Rob scored 5 of the 9 Reserves team goals, making it 10 for the season. Kenny, Martin, Rickie and Scott added to their tallies
3. Neither team kept a clean sheet this month; Shaun conceded 7 for the 1st and the Reserves saw 14 go against them (11 of these against the top two sides)
4. The 1st team picked up 2 yellows, both against Milton – Bubba and Darren the offenders
5. Reserves had 8 yellows from 4 of their matches – two of these for Vagner vs Bar Hill earning a red card. Callum picked up 2, while Jun, Kenny, Rob and Sefa had one each
6. The 1st team ended the season with 28 players representing them, while the Reserves stayed at 47