Forum

Join the club

General Discussion

Best ever Chelmsford 1st team present players or past

, Posted

From 1920 there have been great players who have pulled on a Chelmsford shirt.
Lets open up a Christmas forum on who would be the top 15 players from 1 to 15 .
The debate at yesterdays Christmas dinner was that the present 1st team have played some fantastic rugby this season and what players from the past could improve the balance. and how the rugby as developed from the past
Todays squad consist of players aged between 18 and 30 with the average age being 22
The players are
DEAN LESTER
KEV PRIOR
JARROD TAYLOR
RICIE VINTER
JIM COOKE
JACK VENN
JAMIE HINES
PAUL REDFORD
ANDY COOKE
MATT ATKINSON
LUKE VENN
ZAIN MANNE
DAN TRAYLER
PAUL WELCH
ASH WRIGHT
WARREN BOOTY
MIKE MULLINGS
NICK HANKIN
LEE MCCLOUD

Please added your views

, Posted
Sorry but the team of the 1970s would easily beat you. You lost three games at the beginning of the season, last year you just survived relegation. The team of the 70s lost about 6 games in three seasons. They were on a par with Southend. Andy Green had trials for eastern England and I think England B team. How can you exclude a player of that calibre? There are shirts on the wall of the clubhouse, the names of the donors escape me. One of them is an England shirt (ok it is not the England 1st team) from a player whose name escapes me. Is that player not in the finest team ever? Todays team are good, they are going places and it is an honour to support them but the best ever> In my humble opinion no.
, Posted

Having played one or two seasons at the club and at 1st team level, other players who could be considered are:

Rob Earley
Graham Mackleworth
Simon Earnshaw
Dave Briggs
Steve Ferrier
Kev Lander
Jon Lyons
Mike Adlam
Noel Williams
The Boulder Brothers
Paddy O`Riordan
Chris Hoult
Sid Hoult
Richie Brough
Paul Foster
Trevor Bedding

These are just a few of the names although I persoanlly count my stars that I have been able to play on the same field with all of these players and more.

, Posted

while i can't comment on the 70s (mainly because i wasn't alive), i can offer a couple more names:

Ed Williams
Will Williams
Paul Smith

Should we count Adam Ferrier? i don't think he's played first team, but he's certainly a decent player who has played for the club in the past.

, Posted
I can throw in some great players for the club when i arrived 5 years ago
Bob Randall
Christian Ohare
Rob Foster
Tim Redwood
Alex Burden
Duncan Bradford
Gilbert Kigudde
Chris Bown
Come on Guys what about the 60s 70s and 80s and the 90s
, Posted
Just after I finished I was going to add in 4 players and those were Redders, Christain, Paul Smith and also Les Jefferson.
, Posted
for sheer length of service, i think we need to include Bobby Barnes in this.
, Posted
Not for getting Dom Fenton
, Posted
lets not forget who we all voted for as player of the 80's ...
I.K ... Ian Kenworthy ,who closely beat , Alan Elliot and Noel Williams
, Posted

As most can see the club has had many quality players over the years which says alot about the rugby club and how it has attracted these players over the seasons.

I notice that a few names are missing from peoples lists, a certain Mr Crispin and one of the best props I have played with over the years my brother Simon.

To compare 70's players to recent players is hard as many of the rugby heads know that it is a totally different game now, different laws, fitness and the speed of the game even over the past 10 years is totally different.

The team of the late 90's would be hard to beat, looking at a pic on Face Book brings back memoeries of winning the league and progressing in the national cup further than any other Chelmsford team has done.

Todays team is all about youth and fast flowing rugby coupled with the power of a physical pack, the future does indeed look good!

, Posted

Kev
You are right the team of the late 90's was a great team, total commitment, great teamship and friendship throughout. Rob phoned on a Wednesday to say you were in the squad and be at training on Thursday and everyone was there.
Only thing back then was we all trained together as a squad week in week out but then we only ever had 20 25 turn up to training back then.
We played as a unit and Chelmsford truly became our fortress.

Even when we went as far as we did in the cup playing at Havant we made a fist of it, again when the odds were against us over at Harlow a team a few leagues above us and we destroyed them totally taking the honours in a very bruising game.
1998- 99 season was an excellent vintage.

Simon Prior (Essex)
Kev Prior (Essex)
Ian Poll
Dave Howell
Martin Dunn
Paddy O'Reirdon (Essex)
Me
Laurence Crispin
Paul Gerrad
Darren Saffill
Chris Salmon
Paul Smith (Essex)
Dean Reilly
Tim Roddy
Mikey Cole
Elliott Zagger
Chris Hoult (Essex)
Rob Earley Captain (Essex)
Les Jefferson
Sid Hoult (Essex)
Andy Cryne (Essex)
Fentos
Bob Randall
Peter Graves
Christian O'Hare (Essex)
Paul Bass
Trevor Bedding
Paul Foster

Not forgetting coaches Tim Hughes, Andy Siddell and Neil Mitchell for all their hard work guiding us and also that big Scottish bloke who just turned up at training one night for a few weeks and cemented the forwards with some sort of magical bonding.
Think of how many of these guys played for Essex and Eastern Counties
at the time.
Some good players made better by being a team, positive coaching and great in the bar camaraderie me for one!

, Posted

what about the southern hemisphere guys.....

Myself
Opini
Josh
Guthrie
Louis
Wiebo

Also then you have,

Craig Woolbridge??

With all the players I played with I will have the following team,

Kev Nash
Jim Cooke
Kev Prior
Josh
Howe
Louis
Gilbert
Matt Atkinson

Fozzy
Saffie
Opini
Redders
Bob Randall
Mullins
Sid

Bench:

Craig Wooldbridge
Duncan Bradford
Andy Cooke
Alex Burden
Wiebo
Phil Stocton
Pikey
Chris Brown
Guthrie
Paul Foster

New era team!!!

[Post Edited Thursday 14th of April 2011 04:05 PM]

[Post Edited Thursday 14th of April 2011 04:06 PM]

, Posted

Just to add my pennys worth. Ive had the pleasure of playing with some great talent over the years but from my playing era and memory i give the below.(to date- im just peaking so this may change over the coming years)

P.O'RIERDON G.MACKLEWORTH S.FERRIER

D.BRIGGS BINGY
N.PILGRIM L.JEFFERSON
P.SMITH

EARLY
WILLIAMS
S.TAI OHARE
RANDALL
S.COOK
S .HOULT

EXTENDED BENCH
C.HOULT
W.OBERHOLZER
R.FOSTER
L.CRISPIN
K.PRIOR
T.REDWOOD
D.FENTON
T.RODDY

, Posted

Just to add my pennies worth , played with some wonderful talent over the years but to date ( still playing and still peaking so this may yet change ) from my era and memory, please see below.

P.O'RIERDON G.MACKLEWORTH S.FERRIER

D.BRIGGS BINGY
N.PILGRIM L.JEFFERSON
P.SMITH

EARLY
WILLIAMS
S.TAI OHARE
RANDALL
S.COOK
S .HOULT

EXTENDED BENCH

C.HOULT
W.OBERHOLZER
R.FOSTER
L.CRISPIN
K.PRIOR
D.FENTON
T.REDWOOD
T.RODDY
C.WOOLDRIDGE

, Posted

Nice post!!
I like this post and it is very informative post for me..
Locksmith Chelmsford

[Post Edited Monday 25th of March 2013 09:12 AM]

, Posted

I agree, is anyone still in touch with Alex or Paul Burden?

Great post

Affiliations

Club sponsors