Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Chesham Bois Cricket Club

View

History

Cricket has been played on the village common at Chesham Bois for over 100 years. The ground is in a picturesque setting being completely enclosed by beech and oak trees, some dating back many years. Teams are eager to play in such pleasant surroundings.

The actual formation of the Club is still uncertain at the present time but 1880 is the generally accepted date as in the 1960's when thoughts first turned to the history, there were ex-members and villagers who remembered the Club playing cricket prior to 1900. It had been in existence a number of years even then, playing the local villages in friendly matches.

From the early 1900's until 1940, the team played in the Chesham and District League, that featured many local village teams, winning the League on a number of occasions.

Only the two Great Wars stopped the club playing but it was quickly reformed on both occasions at the cessation of hostilities by many local enthusiasts who came mainly from the village and Chesham Moor areas. The latter being part of the local parish.

After reforming in 1945, the Club played only in friendly matches, fielding one Saturday eleven and two sides on most Sundays when cricket was once again allowed to play Sunday matches in the 1950's after opposition by the churches nationwide.

These friendly matches were played for the next 50 years, despite the availability of league cricket in the area, this being purely a members preference to the friendly type of matches bringing lasting friendships between players.

In 1997, a decision was taken by the Club to once again enter into league cricket, this being the Mid-Bucks League which features many teams from the High Wycombe district but still retaining the Sunday friendly matches.

Although a small village club the standard of play and wickets are good and it has a reputation for friendliness and new members are always welcomed to the club.

Club sponsor