The Start it was 1921, a group of youngsters fired with ambitions but very little money, entered a team in the Kingston and District Saturday Football League. The team had been organised by Bill Benham a former resident and councillor of Reading, Berks., who arrived to live in Malden Rushett, Chessington in 1913.
The Initial group of players were captained by Frank Styles and included Arthur Moore, Fred Marsey, Len Ayres, Whitehead, Toms, Walter Saker, George Miles and Len Partridge the early matches were played on land which is now occupied by the Fleetwood Fengate Company on the Leatherhead Road (this is currently being developed into a supermarket and flats). Affiliated to the Surrey County FA club strip was Navy Blue.
Additional founding club officials were Farmer V.Prewett (President) and Charlie Heather (Hon, Sec.). Behind the scenes Bill Benham along with "Nibby' Saker and Councillor Warren were in negotiation for the use of the area of meadowland adjacent to the school on the Leatherhead Road, development of playing fields.
Sir Francis Baker the landowner, agreed to sign over the land provided the club could make it playable for ball games and in 1924 the football team played their first home fixture there.
To the football after finishing the first season second to bottom of the lowest league, our fortunes started to improve and in the following season winning the Surbiton Times Cup and finishing Champions of Division 1V. In a vital match Fred Marsey sustained concussion and was taken off when he headed the goal post shortly before half time. During the interval he was revived and celebrated the second half by scoring ten goals.
The club was very much a village team supported by local lads, in many ways this was detrimental to their progress and success, as we relied upon local players. On one occasion the vicar of St. Mary's Church, the Reverend Scarlett, arrived to watch a game only to be advised that the team was a man short. He immediately volunteered to make up the numbers.
The first changing accommodation was an ex Great War building, comprising sectional sheets with duck boarding floor. It was not watertight and it was not uncommon for the players returning to change after the game to see there shoes floating on the water.
A second intake of players occurred in the late 1920's including Bert and Bob Smithers, Jack Humphries, Kelly, Longhurst, Ruffel, Sammy Fisher, "Tate' Butler, Dia Lewis, Richard Bridge, Le Play and Henry Hiscock. Henry would stay with the club for over fifty years.
Henry was quite a Handy boxer and on one occasion when the team was returning from a game, short on cash, and passing the Easter Hampton Court Fair, he persuaded the team to accompany him to the boxing booth where he accepted a challenge to fight to win £5., if he could survive three rounds. He quickly knocked-out his opponent to earn his £5.
SEASON LEAGUE COMPETITION
1921-22 Entered Kingston & District League Division 1V 8thplace from 9
1922-23 " " 1V 1V Champions
1923-24 " " 111
1924-25 " " 111
1925-26 " " 111
1926-27 " " 111
1927-28 " " 111 6thplace from 9
1928-29 " " 111 9thplace from 9
1929-30 " " 1V Section A 6thplace from 10