THE GOOD PARENT'S CODE
Club and Schools should encourage parents and guardians to:
- Be familiar with the coaching and training programme in order that they can ensure their
child is fully involved and the coaches are aware of their availability.
- Be familiar with the teaching and coaching methods used by observing the coaching and
training sessions in which their child participates.
- Be aware that the Club or School has a duty of care to ensure the safety of players and
therefore, where appropriate, assist coaches with the supervision of the players, particularly
where numbers are large and there is a need to transport players to away games.
- Be involved with Club and School activities and share their expertise.
- Share concerns, if they have them, with Club or School officials.
- Be familiar with the Good Coaches' Code contained in the RFU Continuum. In particular,
be aware that:
(a) coaches should recognise the importance of fun and enjoyment when coaching players;
(b) coaches should keep winning and losing in perspective - encourage players to behave with
dignity in all circumstances.
- Support coaches in installing these values.
- Remember that young people play rugby for their own enjoyment not that of their
- Encourage young people to play - do not force them.
- Focus on the players' efforts, rather than winning or losing.
- Be realistic about the players' abilities; do not push them towards a level they are not
capable of achieving.
- Provide positive verbal feedback both in training and during the game.
- Remember that persistent, negative messages will adversely affect the players' and
referee's performance and attitude.
- Always support the Club and School in their efforts to eradicate loud, coarse and abusive
behaviour from the game.
- Remember young people learn much by example.
- Always show appreciation of good play by all players both from their own Club or School
and the opposition.
- Respect decisions made by the match officials, even if they appear to be a mistake, and
encourage players to do likewise.