Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Chichester Rugby Football Club


1st XV - Match centre

Sat 16 Sep 15:00 - London & SE Division - London 1 South Full time

Chichester 30 v 17 Havant

This was the first local derby between these clubs since 2013 when Chichester did the double. Match report by Roger Gould.

This was the first local derby between these clubs since 2013 when Chichester did the double. They won again this time and earned the bragging rights at least until the return fixture. After a mixed performance in an even first half, they were superior in the second. They collected their third consecutive bonus point win by scoring 4 tries, 2 conversions and 2 penalties to 2 tries, 2 conversions and a penalty. It was a hard, physical contest between two good teams which were willing to run the ball as much as possible, and it gave excellent entertainment to a large and vocal crowd. Chi have maximum points so far and are second in the table on points difference.

Another bright afternoon and Blues welcomed back their former captain Scott Barlow after his several distinguished seasons with Worthing in the National leagues. Dane Gingell was a late replacement for Ben Deavall as front row replacement and Jamie Wilcock was at full back for the injured Tom Hutchin. The visitors were well supported as expected and their team kicked off with high hopes, two wins already achieved.

A Nick Blount tackle and a Ben Robson interception led to a Blues attack with Tom Belcher, Chris Johnson and Barlow driving from the lineout. The ball was transferred at impressive speed across the backs for winger Nat Jackson to beat desperate last ditch tackles and score at the right corner flag. Both sides tested each other in midfield but a high tackle on Havant's Fijian fly half gave Richard Adams 10 minutes in the sin bin. Havant advanced, Chi lost a lineout and confident passing put left winger Wilkes over at the corner. Knight kicked a splendid conversion. 5 - 7 to Havant. There was some scrappy play but Anscombe cleared to touch with a towering kick. Chi charged to the Havant 22 and a score looked on the cards but play was brought back for a penalty award and Anscombe succeeded from just over half way. 8 - 7. The next Blues thrust was stopped illegally at a ruck and Anscombe was again on target. 11 - 7. Havant replied with a 40 metre run by full back Carr and the ball was spread to the right wing. A fine crosskick deceived the Chi defence and flanker Cuffe caught it at the gallop and touched down near the posts. Knight converted, 11 - 14. Carr had been injured and was helped off the pitch. The Chi forwards rolled forward again and won good ground but Blount also had to leave the pitch after a knock to the head. Aaron Davies replaced him. A Chi penalty was sent to the corner and Havant were under the cosh. Cuffe infringed to stop a driving maul and was sent to the bin. Blues would not be denied and although Johnson was just held up, they moved to the left for Barlow to crash over. Converted by Anscombe. Just before the break Chi were penalised in front of their posts and Knight made no mistake. 18 - 17 at half time and even money on the result.

Chichester 30 Havant 17 (160917)
59 photos

Chi restarted with determination. A lovely backs move gave outside centre Sam Renwick space. He accelerated and with a classic sidestep burst through from outside the Havant 22 and dashed to the line. A tap tackle brought him down but his momentum got him across despite hurting his knee in the process. Anscombe converted, 25 - 17, but Renwick had to go off. The scrums were fairly even, Chi had the edge in the lineout with Davies, Barlow and Charlie Wallace doing the business. It was a real ding-dong in the loose and hard hits as Chi gradually dominated possession. Johnson stormed 30 metres breaking tackles and a penalty was delivered to Vultures Corner. A Wallace catch and then the drive which was infringed by Cuffe who received a second yellow card which was changed to red. Havant down to 14. Another lineout, Barlow prominent in the drive maul, ball out from Adams and Davies smashed down to make it 30 - 17 with Chi looking safe. But Havant tried again with their scrum half Hewett working hard to find a gap. He kicked ahead and Robson had to make a brave fall to avert the danger. Blues then defended stoutly on the right wing for Adams to clear. The tireless Johnson stormed again and the backs took it up with Jack Bentall tackled just short of the line. Jackson ran well out of defence, Robson and Anscombe raced into the 22 but were unlucky to knock on in the tackle. Two penalties to the right corner promised a fifth try but Havant held out and were still competing at the final whistle. Big celebration for Chi and both teams deserved praise for a great contest.

Chichester squad: Belcher, Arden-Brown, Veltom, Barlow, Blount, O'Callaghan, Wallace, Johnson, Anscombe, Adams, Robson, Bentall (capt.), Renwick, Jackson, Wilcock, Gingell, Davies and Hillyer.

Next week Chichester face their biggest test at league leaders CS Rugby who play at Chiswick. They have recruited well, including the talented scrum half Nixon from Guernsey who scored against Chi last season. All support welcome.

Videos and photos

Chichester 30 Havant 17 (160917)
59 photos

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London 1 South results

Old Colfeians


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. CS Rugby 26 115
2. Medway 26 106
3. Havant 26 104
4. Chichester 26 84
5. Cobham 26 78
6. Brighton 26 75
7. Tottonians 26 63

Team sponsors


Club sponsors