Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Chichester City F.C. app


Chichester Knocked Out Of FA Vase

2 months ago By Ian Worden

Chichester City 0-2 Windsor

Josh Clack on the attack for Chi against Windsor in the Vase (Picture: Daniel Harker)

There was FA Vase disappointment for Chichester as they crashed out of the cup in a feisty second round tie that saw the home side finish the game with nine players.

Miles Rutherford’s side have enjoyed success in the Vase in recent times. In 2016-17 they made the fourth round before losing to Buckland Athletic, and last year went one better in a history-making cup run that took them to the last sixteen of the competition only to lose 1-0 when Cheshire opponents 1874 Northwich scored the winner in the 89th minute.

The FA Vase has been good to the visitors too - they were knocked out by runners-up Stockton Town in last season's quarter finals.

City came into the match on the back of four straight wins in all competitions. Rutherford made changes to the team that beat Steyning Town in the RUR Cup. In came Josh Clack, Ben Pashley and Gicu Iordache.

The home side started the brighter, forcing a couple of early corners. Clack then almost picked out striker Scott Jones but Hugo Sobte gathered.

Moments later the Windsor keeper had his defenders to thank when a fierce shot was deflected for another corner. Connor Cody was inches away from getting on the end of this after the ball was whipped over.

At the other end Jordan Matthews did well to punch away a free-kick from Fabio Nunes.

In the 18th minute Clack tried a scissor kick after a flowing move involving Ellis Martin, Iordache and Pashley but caught a Windsor player.

Kai Davies next launched a long throw into the Chi penalty area. Dave Herbert dealt with this calmly chesting the ball back to Matthews.

On the half hour Herbert fired an effort just wide before Sobte palmed a shot on the turn by Clack round the post.

Kieran Hartley then made a great tackle to deny the visitors as they threatened on the counter.

And in a frenetic five minutes before the break Chichester had a player sent off and conceded the opening goal.

Herbert didn’t connect with Dan Roberts but going in two footed gave referee Mr Dunn a decision to make and he brandished a red card.

Cody then picked up a yellow for a tackle on Andy Ingram on the edge of the box. Roberts latched onto the loose ball following Nunes’ set-piece and beat City October player of the month Matthews at close range with a shot that nicked off a defender.

HT 0-1

Rutherford brought Terrell Lewis on for Rob Hutchings at half-time and pushed left back Martin up into midfield.

Windsor made the advantage of the extra man pay, doubling their lead eight minutes in when Roberts cut the ball back to Matt Stockill who finished clinically.

A minute later a cross from Iordache hung up invitingly for Jones but Sobte managed to get there first.

Iordache had a go himself with a super strike that flashed wide of the upright before Martin went close with a free-kick that almost caught the keeper out.

Next Matthews punched a cross away and held on to the follow up.

In the 61st minute Kaleem Haitham, on for Martin, linked up with Iordache who wasn’t far away with a drive.

Lewis combined effectively down the right flank with first Clack and then Hartley but a well-organised defence ensured neither move came to anything.

Lewis then cleared the ball off the line following a Windsor attack before Jones almost got in.

There were half chances for Chi. Sobte, who had a good game, punched one effort clear and then dealt with a looping Jones header.

The Windsor No.1 also recovered well to tip another attempt from Jones over the bar for a corner.

And then there was more controversy when Hartley was sent off following a consultation between the referee and one of his assistants.

The visitors forged good opportunities in time added on but Matthews, who’d kept four straight clean sheets before the match, pulled off two fine saves.

After the match Chi coach Danny Potter said, "Today wasn't our day for a number of reasons. We're disappointed but credit where credit is due, well done Windsor and all the best in the next round. We go again."

Chi are still competing in three other cups and travel to Hailsham Town for a SCFA Senior Cup encounter midweek before the league leaders return to SCFL premier division action at Newhaven on Saturday.

Chichester – Matthews, Hartley, Martin, Axell, Cody, Pashley, Clack, Herbert, Jones, Hutchings, Iordache. Subs: Peake, Lewis, Anders, Ndlovu, Haitham.

Windsor – Sobte, Davis, Di Giuseppe, Brooks-Smith, Ocansey, Abbey, Gould, Stockill, Roberts, Ingram, Nunes. Subs: Ellis, Coyne, Lazarczuk, Smyth, Shingleston

Updated 12:56 - 17 Jan 2019 by Ian Worden

Where next?

Video Advertising


Loading comments

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Sat 19 Jan
First Team Saltdean United
League 15:00
Tue 22 Jan
Cup 19:45
Sat 26 Jan
First Team Broadbridge Heath
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors