Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Chichester City F.C.


First Team - Match centre

Chichester City F.C.
Tue 22 Aug 19:45 - Cup Full time

Chi Skipper Lee Sinks Selsey

Chichester City 4-1 Selsey FC

City captain Jack Lee in pre-season action last year against Salisbury (Picture: Chris Hatton)

City captain Jack Lee scored twice to help his side come from behind after a slow start in this Peter Bentley Cup tie.

It was all corners and free-kicks that came to nothing in the opening ten minutes. Half chances fell to Lorenzo Dolcetti, Rob Hutchings and Lee.

Referee Kevin Dawson might have awarded Chi a penalty though for a heavy tackle on Tafadzwa Kanjanda, who impressed on Saturday with his hat-trick at Arundel, but he wasn't interested.

Next a well-timed challenge from Ellis Martin at the other end prevented a Selsey opportunity before Max Thoms had a header cleared off the line.

Then on 22 minutes Steve Bailey's SCFL division one outfit took the lead against their premier league opponents - Jake Goulding, who else? lashing the ball in from just outside the box.

The Seals striker, who turned out for Chichester in a friendly only a few weeks ago against Folland Sports, has started the season in sizzling form for his new club and bagged a brace against Midhurst & Easebourne in the previous round and was also on target in the two league games at the Bunn Leisure stadium.

In fact Goulding might have scored moments before when he intercepted an underhit back-pass from Kieran Hartley but Ant Ender stayed on his feet and managed to guide Goulding away.

Then Joe Clarke charged a pass down and whipped his cross in looking for the No9. Martin did well to cut this out but it was from the resulting corner that the visitors went ahead thanks to Goulding's sixth goal in four games.

Chichester forced a series of corners searching to get back into the match and Selsey keeper Warren Boyt did well to gather one under pressure from Lee.

It was all very direct and City struggled to get their brand of free-flowing football going, much to the frustration of players.

On the half hour Hartley had a shot but it swerved off target. Then Dolcetti drifted past a handful of defenders, although his drive didn't really trouble Boyt.

A set-piece from Ryan Morey drifted over attackers and defenders alike on 36 minutes before City had an another penalty appeal waved away by the ref when it looked like Kanjanda's cross had been handled.

Finally, Goulding's strike was cancelled out in the 39th minute by a Lee header that sparked an action packed spell that left Selsey shell-shocked. Hartley broke down the left wing and delivered a cross towards Clack which was cleared but when the ball came in from the other side there was Lee to head home.

Less than a couple of minutes later George Way, who was hugely influential in midfield at times, collected a short corner, jinked past two players and threaded the ball through to Lee to stab home from close range.

Hutchings, in his first game back for his new club after serving a three match suspension following a red card late on in the FA Cup opener at Binfield, put Chi 3-1 up running on to Dan Watts' through ball.

With Ender barking out “Can we play?” City now looked more like a side who could.

And a minute before half-time following good approach play from Kanjanda and Clack the latter was dumped over unceremoniously in the box. This time Mr Dawson did point to the spot. There was a quick exchange between Clack and his captain about who should take it but it was the winger rather than the man on a hat-trick who stroked the ball past Boyt.

HT 4-1

In truth, the football, like the weather, took a turn for the worse after the break as things petered out.

Dolcetti picked up a yellow card for an uncharacteristic scything tackle on Goulding just outside the centre circle.

For Chichester, Thoms had a shot blocked after good work from Hutchings. Hutchings next brought a fine save out of Boyt before Way pulled a shot wide and a Dolcetti free-kick set Lee up for his hat-trick but the City defender headed over this time.

Chances were few and far between for Selsey. Ryan Chittock lifted a shot over after a nice pass from sub Ryan Hillier.

Ender did well to get something behind a Goulding pile-driver on 83 minutes and his defenders somehow managed to clear the follow up off the line.

After the game Chi boss Miles Rutherford said, “To be honest, we were poor in the first twenty minutes or so and didn't play with our usual pace and intensity. The boys know it. When we play with pace in the final third, we're a match for most sides. We did that for maybe 25 minutes tonight but the challenge is can the lads do it for 90 minutes.”

Chichester are away in the league this Saturday to Saltdean United (3pm) and home against Lancing on Bank Holiday Monday (11am)

Starting teams:

City – Ender, Watts, Lee, Martin, Hartley, Way, Thoms, Dolcetti, Clack, Kanjanda, Hutchings

Selsey – Boyt, Low, Abdo, Madden, Kilhams, Lynch, Manners, Chittock, Goulding, Clarke, Morey

5 sports clubs amongst winners in the Jewson Building Better Communities competition.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors