Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Chichester City F.C.


First Team - Match centre

Chichester City
Mon 28 Aug 11:00 - SCFL - Premier Division Full time Attendance 112

City Shine Once More

Chichester City 5-0 Lancing

Kieran Hartley, caught here in action against Lancing last season, was one of Chi's goal scorers this year
(Picture: Tommy McMillan)

Chichester totally eclipsed Lancing at Oaklands Park on August Bank Holiday Monday with goals from five different players.

City started well and with an intensity that was missing against Saltdean.

Good work from Rob Hutchings down the left in the first minute set Dave Herbert up for an early chance before a great knock from Ellis Martin towards Scott Jones created panic in the visitors' defence.

Then in the fourth minute Josh Clack played a free-kick short to Hutchings. The midfielder shot but it was deflected out for a corner. This came out to George Way on the edge of the area who was disappointed to see his effort fizz narrowly over the bar.

Chi heaped on the pressure in this opening spell with Jones, Hutchings and Herbert all in the thick of things in the final third.

And the breakthrough came on 11 minutes when a Clack set-piece picked out Jack Lee at the back stick to head home his third goal in as many games.

Moments later after Clack and Dan Watts combined effectively a pass from Way almost got Herbert in.

Then a nicely weighted ball from Martin fell to Watts but he was unable to get any real power on his header.

Pinned back in their own half Lancing's only opportunity in this passage of play fell to top scorer Lewis Finney but the forward pulled a tame effort wide.

Another free-kick, from Martin this time in the 23rd minute was too close to the Lancers' keeper Tyler D'Cruz who gathered easily.

Then, following a rare raid by the visitors, City No1 Ant Ender's throw-out sent his team away on the attack but Herbert missed when Jones squared the ball to him and Clack's follow up attempt brushed the upright.

A couple of fouls on Clack earned Finney a talking to from referee Alex Bradley, who went for his book after a challenge too many from Chichester midfielder Dan Hegarty.

Lancing forced a corner on 37 minutes but as City struggled to clear the ball just wouldn't sit up for either Finney or Lucas Tredrea.

In the last five minutes of the half both sides spurned golden opportunities. Chi's chance came after a move involving Herbert, Hegarty and Jones. The counter-attack when this broke down sent Tredrea through one on one with Ender and the Lancing No9 could have, should have, would have scored but for a Schmeichelesque save from the keeper with his feet. And in time added on Jones flicked the ball up cleverly as he ran on to a pass from Watts but his shot, with the last kick of the first period, failed to trouble D'Cruz.

HT 1-0

In late summer sunshine after the interval Chichester treated the Oaklands Park faithful to some red-hot football.

On 50 minutes D'Cruz turned a Martin free-kick round his post and then from the resultant corner gathered the ball bravely under pressure from Lee.

Moments later the Lancing goalie was called on to palm away a looping header from Hegarty. Chi took a short corner this time. The ball was pulled back to Hutchings but his shot sailed high.

City boss Miles Rutherford sent Lorenzo Dolcetti on for Jones and the Italian was quickly in the action volleying an effort just over bang on the hour.

Next Hegarty got on the end of a Clack cross and rattled the woodwork with his header on this occasion.

At the other end Watts had to be sharp as Mike Williamson charged through, turning the ball out for a throw before the visitors had a goal ruled out on 63 minutes for an infringement on Ender.

Finney picked up a yellow card after an elbow caught Lee and a quickly taken free-kick got Chi up the pitch only for Dolcetti to skew his shot wide.

This was followed by efforts from Way, Herbert and Dolcetti again as the home side pressed for that all important second goal.

And what a goal it was.

Kieran Hartley, who had replaced Hutchings, fed the ball to Clack and the Chi winger curled the ball into the top right hand corner for his fifth of the season.

With Chichester now running riot opportunities came and went on 74, 75 and 78 minutes. Dolcetti couldn't quite sort his feet out and fired off target, Clack had a shot charged down and Hegarty was unlucky for a third time.

Then with ten minutes to go Martin's persistence paid dividends and Clack's cross was a good one for Dolcetti to make it 3-0 with a stooping header at the far post.

Next Hegarty followed Martin's example turning provider for Hartley who accepted this gift graciously and thumped the ball past a despairing D'Cruz.

Tafadzwa Kanjanda, on for Clack, linked up with Hartley and Dolcetti on 84 minutes only for the shot to drift wide.

Hartley, making a real impact, then hit the bar. Herbert was on hand to turn the rebound in but the striker was judged offside.

Way and Lee might have increased Chi's lead before Herbert wrapped things up with a minute to go to end August on a high note.

It's been a month of mixed fortunes for Chichester but they're unbeaten at Oaklands Park, scoring 14 times in three home games so far.

Worthing United are the next visitors on Saturday 2nd September (kick off, 3pm)

City – Ender, Watts, Lee, French, Martin, Hutchings (Hartley), Way, Hegarty, Clack (Kanjanda), Herbert, Jones (Dolcetti)

Lancing – D'Cruz, Clayman (Donaldson), Brouhgton, Emery, Marsh, E.Finney, Bunch (Dramis), Williamson, Tredrea, Aguiar (Rudwick), L.Finney

Which club gets your vote? Voting opens in Jewson Building Better Communities

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Eastbourne Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Haywards Heath Town 38 83
2. Three Bridges 38 82
3. Pagham 38 75
4. Horsham YMCA 38 71
5. Eastbourne Town 38 69
6. Chichester City 38 68
7. Peacehaven & Tels. 38 68


Club sponsors