After a review of the senior section involving players and coaches, the board feel that an amended role of Senior Head coach, removing some of the DoR objectives is appropriate.
The Mini and Junior sections continue to be successful and one of the key rolls of the Senior Head Coach will be to develop a clear coaching and player pathway from Junior to Senior Rugby.
I can announce that John “Topper” Brown will take up the roll of Senior Head Coach for the 2017 – 2018 season. He will be responsible for all the teams that make up our Senior section ie Development Squad, 1st, 2nd and 3rd XVs.
His objectives are as follows:
• Retain an amateur playing base
• Develop our ‘home grown’ lads to represent us at senior level
• To be an ambitious yet sustainable club ie not ‘yo-yoing’ each season up and down leagues
• To promote a welcoming environment amongst players that would assist the retention and recruitment of players.
• Create depth amongst the senior playing squads so that we have rotation across all teams.
Actions to be taken by the Head Coach:
• Agree a coaching structure with:
- Senior Coach
- Dev Squad coach – focus on talent ID, player development and support transition of players through to senior rugby.
• Plan and communicate pre-season for all senior & dev squad players
• Meet with key stakeholders to build relationships in terms of player development, recruitment and retention: Beechen Cliff, King Edwards, Downside, Sheldon, Kingswood, Hardenhuish, Bath, Mad Dog Academy, 7’s tournaments and local military establishments.
• Appoint 3 x team captains
• Create a mentoring programme for the ‘top end’ performers from the Dev Squad
• Renew the communication process between senior players and dev squad
• Create a competitive environment that encourages players to train and work hard for a 1st XV place ie strength in depth
• Create opportunities for retiring players who have the desire to develop their coaching skills with a view to involving them in development squad and junior rugby.
The Board will support in the following areas,
• We will communicate with all members what the ambitions of the club are So that expectations can be more easily managed to create a positive environment.
• Change the process of the committee so that we have four separate reporting structure’s; Rugby, Facilities, Finance and Governance.
• Provide a sponsorship package/process that is desirable to support the players. It can generate income, encourage membership, attract new players, and get a ‘foothold’ into other potential sponsors.
• Actively promote the recruitment of targeted overseas players through a sponsorship funded process.
• To enforce the members to listen to the players and don't try to enforce a sterile environment that is not friendly.
• Embrace and utilise the offer of help from senior playing members
As previously stated we will continually communicate with our members, so that they know our ambitions, but we need our members to be patient and remember our players play for fun - they know when they have either performed well or not. We need to encourage them in a positive way, not in a disrespectful way.
Ian Beswick, Chairman.
Updated 21:44 - 25 May 2017 by Matthew Stephen