Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Cleethorpes RUFC


2nd XV - Match centre

Cleethorpes RUFC
Gainsborough Maoris
Sat 9 Sep 14:30 - Friendly Full time Attendance 40

Cleethorpes 2nd XV - 33 - Gainsborough Maoris - 12.

On a historic day for the rugby club

On a historic day for the rugby club, pride was prevalent in yielding two strong sides in gold & blue.
From the first kick off by the Maoris, Matthew Stinson showed that time hadn't depleted his skill set as he actually caught a ball and made a bull dozing run down the pitch finally getting brought down on the Maoris 22, from there Matty Searle scooped the ball aloft and ran in for the first try of the weekend.
It was now a blood & thunder derby, the Maoris stringing some handsome phases together and the steel character of Harrison Bell & Fred Elliot defended superbly.
From a set piece Pat Tate took the ball in and sound rucking from Joe senior enabled the wiry pilot Jack Grey to gather the ball who threw a missile of a pass to Stinson who in turn fed Matty searle.Still with work to do Searle threw a ridiculous dummy (even by his standards!) which was bought by the Maori wing and let him canter in under the posts.
Gainsborough Maoris were now irritated with Cleethorpes 2 break away tries & started again playing smartly testing & probing the Cleethorpes defence. After 3 consecutive penalties Clee found themselves on their own line with some defending needed, but this never happened and Clee allowed the Gainsborough prop to pummel up the dirt track and score.Half time was a welcome sound for the Meggies and Sean Ward took the interval to gather and instruct his troops to steady the ship and play sensible rugby. This became more difficult almost straight after the restart as Ward was shown a yellow card for a high tackle,meaning that Clee would have to dig deep in the trenches.
Danny Burnett showing some hard running & gusto in defence made headway up the paddock, and Clee managed to see out the period of the yellow card without shipping any points. .
Ward returned to the field of play, and it was from his ferreting that allowed the old head to thunder over the whitewash.
The Maoris second try came about as Phil Haigh made a marauding run up the blindside but fell on a divet & knocked the ball into the hands of Gainsboroughs wing who put on the afterburners which left Ethan Fisher & Lloyd Jones gasping for air.
The scoreline was much tighter than Clee wanted, and in a near mirror image it was Ward again to show the Maoris the way as he powered over again making it a brace for the day and stretch the lead to make things a little more comfortable.
The last score of the game came as Jack Grey showed superb trickery and reverse a pass into Matty Searle, who had just come back on after the ref agreed he needed a 10 minute rest. Searle outstripped the tiring cover defence, who had not had the benefit of the 10 minute breather, to score under the posts.
Overall this was a very promising start to the season for the Second XV. The numbers available to select the 15 from was very encouraging as well as the quality of the rugby on show for the numerous spectators. Thanks must go to the Gainsborough Maoris for their part in this spectacle, and the volunteers who have transformed the Clubhouse over the close season and manned the pumps this weekend. The future is definitely bright for the Meggies on and off the field. #UTM

Which club gets your vote? Voting opens in Jewson Building Better Communities

Videos and photos

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors