Cleve Rugby Football Club was formed in 1922 as “Cleve R.F.C. Downend”. They played their first game in a field in Staple Hill, which is now Staple Hill Park. The club later moved to Vassells Park in Fishponds, the players changing in the back room of the Full Moon Public House. It was at this time that the club became known simply as “Cleve R.F.C”. The club purchased a wooden pavilion in November 1934 for £200. When Cleve were forced to move to Bromley Heath Road in Downend in 1939, because of a housing development, their wooden pavilion went with them.