Clitheroe - Match centre

Woodley Sports
Sat 14 Apr 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - First Division North Attendance 160

Clitheroe 1-2 Woodley Sports


Clitheroe laboured to defeat in their final home game of the season against Woodley Sports.

An unchanged team was named from Easter Monday’s late win over Lancaster City.

The first-half was a lacklustre affair with the visitors creating the first real chance in the 21st minute when John Marshall showed great skill in beating a couple of defenders before poking wide having seemingly done all the hard work.

Clitheroe v Woodley Sports
10 photos

Woodley took the lead after 33 minutes when a ball out of defence was seized upon by Aaron Chalmers who side-stepped the covering Kevin Brown before deftly dinking the ball over Zack Hibbert.

Clitheroe’s best chance of the half came a minute later as a slack defensive throw-in allowed Alex Johnson to square for Oliver Devenney who fired in a shot which Woodley keeper Dominic Ingham-Hughes saved with his legs.

The only other noteworthy incident of the opening period was Woodley right-back Ricky Anane receiving his marching orders for a two-footed studs-up challenge on Devenney shortly before the interval. Although he won the ball, it was no surprise that the referee brandished a straight red card.

The second half started along similar lines as the first with Clitheroe making little impact as an attacking force. The turning point came when Monday’s match-winner Glodi Kuba-Kuba entered the fray, joining Johnson up front.

The change of system gave Clitheroe a greater presence in the final third and Kuba-Kuba played an integral part in the Blues’ equaliser after 62 minutes. His initial header from Chris Smalley’s cross was well saved by Ingham-Hughes but Ross Dent was on hand to head home the rebound from close range, scoring his first goal for the club in the process.

This equaliser gave Clitheroe fresh impetus and the home side enjoyed a spell very much on the front foot. Jack Higgins, who had replaced Sam Christensen at half-time, saw his looping header grasped by Ingham-Hughes who also parried a thumping effort from Kuba-Kuba. From the resulting Devenney corner the ball eventually fell to Higgins in the 6 yard box only for his shot to be saved and then smothered by Woodley’s keeper.

The Steelmen’s winner came in the 87th minute as a further defensive lapse allowed substitute Junior Sylla to play in Jordan Stepien who produced an exquisite chipped finish to seal victory.

Bradley Maylett became the second player of the afternoon to be dismissed for his role in unsavoury scenes which followed as visiting players celebrated the goal in front of a section of home support.

Woodley managed to see out time but not before a golden opportunity to equalise was squandered in injury time as Marcus Calvert glanced a pinpoint cross from Devenney wide of the post.

In many ways this was typical end of season fare with the Blues never really hitting their straps. Ironically, although Clitheroe’s participation in next season’s Evo-Stik League is guaranteed, Woodley’s battle to do the same is only just beginning. Despite being eighth with this win, it was announced towards the end of last week that the Cheshire club will be relegated from the division at the end of the current campaign, subject to appeal, due to a failure to comply with ground grading regulations.

The final curtain call of the 2011/12 season takes place next week at AFC Fylde who are currently four points clear of Curzon Ashton with two games to play, possibly giving Clitheroe the opportunity to be kingmakers. Even if the destination of the league title has been determined by the time Saturday rolls around, there is still a promotion party to gatecrash on a ground where the Blues have an exceptional record.

The match will also be the last with Lee Sculpher and David Burgess in charge of team affairs and the two of them deserve huge credit for the job they have done since taking the reins in early March. With potentially choppy waters safely navigated the club can now look forward to a fresh start next season with renewed optimism.

Clitheroe: Zack Hibbert, Chris Smalley, Lee Pugh (c), Kevin Brown, Sam Christensen (Jack Higgins 46), Connor Smith, Matty Fearon (Glodi Kuba-Kuba 52), Oliver Devenney, Alex Johnson, Joe Roberts, Ross Dent (Marcus Calvert 76). Subs not used: Nat Taylor, Andrew Naylor

Bookings: /

Woodley Sports: Dominic Ingham-Hughes, Ricky Anane, Sean Symons (Dean Lantakis 31), John Hunt, Raphael Evans (c), Chris Rowney, Bradley Maylett, Aaron Chalmers, Jordan Stepien, John Marshall (Junior Sylla 34), Adam Mather. Subs not used: Joshua Symons, Callam Gardner, Jack Dorney

Bookings: Sean Symons, Raphael Evans

Sent off: Ricky Anane, Bradley Maylett

Attendance: 160


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division North results

Bamber Bridge
Radcliffe Borough
Salford City
Skelmersdale United
AFC Fylde

League table

# Team Pd Pts
15. Radcliffe Borough 42 45
16. Prescot Cables 42 42
17. Ossett Town 42 42
18. Ossett Albion 42 39
19. Clitheroe 42 38
20. Wakefield 42 33
21. Harrogate Railway Athletic 42 31
22. Cammell Laird 42 28


Club sponsors