Clitheroe - Match centre

Ossett Albion
Sat 31 Mar 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - First Division North Attendance 211

Clitheroe 2-2 Ossett Albion


Clitheroe had to settle for a point after being pegged back by fellow strugglers Ossett Albion in a nervy encounter at Shawbridge.

There were five changes to the team that started last week’s defeat at Prescot. Kevin Brown and Sam Christensen replaced Jack Higgins and Matty Fearon in defence while Alex Johnson, Andrew Naylor and Ross Dent came in for Marcus Calvert, Glodi Kuba-Kuba and James Davis.

Clitheroe boast an impressive record against Ossett Albion at Shawbridge, having recorded six victories in eight games in all competitions dating back to 2005, and it looked as though this trend would continue as the home side flew out the blocks and found themselves two goals to the good within the opening four minutes.

The Blues signalled their intent from the outset with Ross Dent heading over Nat Taylor’s whipped cross within seconds of kick-off. The game was only 3 minutes old when Alex Johnson was fouled by Andrew McManus a couple of yards outside the D of the penalty area and Oliver Devenney curled the resulting free kick over the wall and past the outstretched dive of Jody Barford in the Ossett goal.

Things got even better for the home side a minute later as Devenney made it two, taking his personal tally to five goals in four appearances, firing a loose ball beyond Barford after both Johnson and Andrew Naylor had been denied by the Ossett stopper.

The hosts failed to build on this sublime start and allowed Ossett back into the game six minutes later. McManus evaded the Clitheroe defence to head home Adam Hayton’s free kick at the back post. Ossett had won three of their previous four away fixtures coming into this match, including useful victories at Garforth Town, Woodley Sports and Harrogate Railway, and seemed to find their feet with this goal after the frenetic start.

Before the half-time whistle Barford was forced to turn behind a stinging effort from the lively Johnson, who also drove at the Ossett defence after picking up a Connor Smith clearance on the half-way line, playing in Lee Pugh on the left wing who in turn found Devenney who fired wide looking for his hat-trick.

The Blues were to benefit from a moment of indecision from the officials just before the break as Zack Hibbert appeared to handle outside his area, albeit unintentionally, as he dealt with a through ball. The referee looked long and hard at his assistant who remained unmoved.

Clitheroe held a slender lead going into the second half which was a largely scrappy affair on the whole that lacked any sort of rhythm or tempo.

Ossett equalised after 57 minutes when Marc Thompson teed up Darol Lucas, a scorer during the reverse fixture in January, whose lobbed effort seemed to deceive Hibbert on its way into the net.

Neither side managed to seize the initiative in the remainder of the second period although Clitheroe were to miss a golden opportunity to restore their lead as the game approached the final ten minutes. Pugh’s quick throw allowed Johnson to spin into space and cross from the by-line only for substitute John Osemwegie to implausibly miss the target from below the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

Osemwegie came close to making amends with a couple of minutes remaining as he latched onto Taylor’s through ball but saw Barford pull off an outstanding save to repel his rasping effort from range.

Shortly afterwards, a member of the Ossett management team was asked to leave the dugout by the referee, presumably for some form of dissent.

The final chance of the match fell to the hosts in injury time as Chris Smalley, voted Man of the Match by the sponsors, played in Joe Roberts after a powerful run but the substitute could only find the side-netting.

This fixture represented an opportunity for Clitheroe to take a giant stride towards guaranteeing their Evo-Stik League status, both in terms of how the match unfolded and in the context of all four of their remaining games being against teams in the top seven. Harrogate Railway won in impressive fashion at Salford today and Wakefield took a point from Curzon Ashton, a result which also has repercussions at the top of the league. There are clubs in much more imminent danger but whilst it is still mathematically possible for the unthinkable to happen nagging doubts are bound to remain. The significance of this point will be known at the end of the campaign.

Clitheroe: Zack Hibbert, Chris Smalley, Lee Pugh (c), Kevin Brown, Sam Christensen, Connor Smith, Nat Taylor, Oliver Devenney (Joe Roberts 74), Andrew Naylor (John Osemwegie 68), Alex Johnson, Ross Dent. Subs not used: Marcus Calvert, James Davis, Glodi Kuba-Kuba.

Bookings: Lee Pugh

Ossett Albion: Jody Barford, Stefan Holt, Aaron Guiry, Tyrone Gay, Andrew McManus, Joe Fox, Darol Lucas, Adam Hayton (c), Tom Corner, Marc Thomson (Alex Booker 86), Kurtis Noble (Doran Jordan 80). Subs not used: Matthew Patterson, Kevin Quinn

Bookings: Stefan Holt, Tom Corner

Attendance: 211


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division North results

Woodley Sports
AFC Fylde
Radcliffe Borough
Bamber Bridge
Skelmersdale United

League table

# Team Pd Pts
15. Radcliffe Borough 42 45
16. Prescot Cables 42 42
17. Ossett Town 42 42
18. Ossett Albion 42 39
19. Clitheroe 42 38
20. Wakefield 42 33
21. Harrogate Railway Athletic 42 31
22. Cammell Laird 42 28


Club sponsors