Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Clwb Rygbi Dinbych


Youth - Match centre

Fri 5 May 19:30 - WRU Youth Leagues - North 1 Full time

Dinbych complete league double over Blues

The curtain was closed on a fine season with a clash of two excellent Youth teams at Cae Ddôl.

These two local rivals faced each other in the last game of the season. The game was a close contest and a credit to both teams. Ruthin started the much brighter and dominated the opening quarter, their domination was rewarded by an early penalty followed by two quick tries the first created by the forwards, and the second an excellent backs move finished by their pacey winger who beat four Denbigh tackles to score.
Denbigh found themselves 15-0 down and with a mountain to climb. However a comeback began with the some excellent aggressive running by returning scrum-half Wil Morris, after making good yards up the middle the ball was handled through the forwards and ended up with prop Gethin Higginson who dived over to continuing his recent try scoring streak. The try was converted by Gruff Roberts. Shortly after Denbigh scored another try, it was again thanks mainly to the forwards, that they found themselves 2 metres from the line, it was Captain James Fisher-Jones who picked up the ball and burrowed over with Gruff Roberts again converting. Denbigh were now dominant and just before half-time Wil Morris got his reward when he received a pass from No.8 Robin Williams to beat a defender and score, the try went unconverted. Denbigh reached half time 19-15 ahead.
Denbigh had to make changes at half time following injury to the talismanic Gruff Roberts, this seemed to upset their flow, and coupled with the fact that Ruthin came out all guns blazing they were pinned back for much of the half. It was no surprise when Ruthin scored a converted try to lead 22-19. The pressure continued to mount but some big hits from Wil Morris, second row Conor Hinchcliffe and centre Jac Jones kept Ruthin at bay.
With 5 minutes to go the game was in the balance, when No.10 Iwan Johnson released inside centre David Devine he was wrapped up by two defenders and seemed to be going nowhere when he managed to throw a superb pass out of the back of his hand to Jac Jones at outside centre. He stepped inside the Ruthin Full- Back and followed this by stepping inside two other defenders to run in under the posts, the try was converted by Rhys Johnson. With the last play of the game hard working No.8 Robin Williams went on a run to be stopped just short of the line, the ball was picked up from the back of a ruck by Captain James Fisher-Jones to dive over for an unconverted try final score 31-22. Ruthin must take immense credit for battling so hard it was anyones game for 65 minutes.
This was the last game for a number of Denbigh Youth Players Captain James Fisher-Jones, Vice Captain Wil Morris, Dylan Easton, Elis Vaughan, Sion Spencer, Iwan Johnson, Gruff Roberts and Jake Jones, they all made a massive contribution to the victory and the Youth Coaches wish them well for next season together with Harri Evans, Dafydd Roberts, Jac Sherrinton and Jake Vaughan Thomas who have all contributed massively during the season.

Host Your OPRO Dental Visit!

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Nant Conwy 18 80
2. Wrexham 18 74
3. Denbigh 18 72
4. Pwllheli 16 53
5. Ruthin 18 46
6. Caernarfon 17 36
7. Bala 17 32

Team sponsors


Club sponsors