A Short History of Coleraine Rugby Club

Founded in 1921 when a number of ex-CAI players from their victorious Uster Schools Cup team in 1919 met under a lamp-post in Lodge Road, and agreed to form a town club.

Played in old North West League with Enniskillen, Omagh, Strabane, City of Derry, Limavady, Magee College and, from time to time, some service teams. until 1958/59 when transferred to Junior League in Ulster Branch. There were three sections with promotion/relegation being based on two years' performance. Coleraine won Section 3 in 1958/59 and 1959/60. Then promoted to Section 2 which was won in 1960/61 and 1961/62. Promoted to Section 1 in 1962/63 and won this section in first year.

Since going into section 1 of Junior League, (subsequently to become Qualifying League), Coleraine has remained in top section with one exception. Relegated at end of 1971/72, but returned to Section 1 after only two seasons by winning Section 2 in 1973/74.

TROPHIES

Section 1 Winners 8 times
1962/63
1968/69
1982/83
1985/86
1989/90
1991/92
1999/00
2003/04

Past Players Cup 6 times
1930/31
1936/37
1938/39
1960/61
1982/83
2004/05

Junior Cup 3 times
(+5 times Runner Up)
1938/39
1949/50
1985/86

Towns Cup 10 times
(+ 5 times Runner Up)
1926/27
1930/31
1937/38
1949/50
1953/54
1966/67
1983/84
1996/97
1997/98
2005/06

North West League 21 times

All Ireland Play Offs 2 appearances
1999/00
2003/04

All Ireland Junior Cup Runners-Up
2007/08


SIGNIFICANT DATES

27 October 1921 First fixture played against City of Derry

1921-1968 Played on various farmer's fields in the area, and at CAI. Changing at CAI.

1931 Club disbanded because of "a falling off in the playing membership and a general lack of interest in
activities". Club was re-formed within a month and won the Towns Cup later that season.

1932 First set of Laws and Constitution

1940-1945 Club activities suspended during World War II

1946 2nd XV fielded

1956 Lodge Road purchased in 1956, (originally 7.5 acres at a cost of 1,325. The Club premises now
occupy 21 acres).

1958 Cricket Section formed

1961, 7 September First match played on Lodge Road ground

1963 Changing accommodation built in 1963

1965 4th XV fielded

1970 Clubhouse opened originally in 1970

1972 5th XV formed

1973 Nos 1 and 2 pitches relaid on stone mattress. Cricket square constructed
Under 18 Section formed

1974 Hosted Ulster v Leinster Junior Interprovincial
Hosted Ulster v Wolfounds (part of IRFU centenary celebrations)

1975 Hosted New Zealand All Blacks UK touring party

1976 Hosted Australian UK touring party

1977 6th XV formed. Cricket 1st XI promoted to North West Senior League, Section 1

1978 Clubhouse extension opened. Squash and Indoor Bowling Sections formed.

1984 New "Prunty" pitch developed

1985 Tour to Kenya

1987 Cricket 1st XI won North West Senior Cup defeating Strabane in final
Club hosted Ireland v Scotland senior cricket international.

1988 Tour to Canada

1994 Tour to Kenya

2001 Hosted Ulster v Connacht Junior Interprovincial

2003 Tour to South Africa

2004 Hosted Ulster senior professional squad for three day training camp

2007 New Changing Rooms constructed

Club sponsors