1st Team - Match centre

Talysarn Celts
A Jones (47'), G Bolton (60')
Full time
Sat 4 Feb 14:00 - Gwynedd Football League - Premier Division Attendance 50

Berffro made to battle for 3 points in tough conditions

2-0 win keeps winning run going

Yesterday we lined up to face Talysarn in another Gwynedd League fixture as we looked to continue on or fine recent run of victories with another vital 3 points on offer. The pitch looked surprisingly good despite the heavy downpours of the past few days and with most games called off around North Wales it was good to get the game on.

With a strong wind behind us we started off on the front foot as Talysarn struggled to get out of their own half with the back 3 of Gaz, Iwan and Jenks playing high up the pitch and pushing us forward from the back. In the opening quarter we created some really good chances but found a visiting goalkeeper in fine form as time after time he kept us out and kept his team on level terms. First off Connor did well to reach a deep cross in from Gaz Wyn but his first time effort was clawed away but the custodian, from the resulting corner Billy did well to flick on at the near post but the loose ball just eluded Bolton at the far stick and went wide. Not long afterwards some clever footwork by Matty Reynolds opened up a yard of space in the box but his low effort was tipped around the post once again by the keeper. The chances continued as we attacked from every area of the pitch, Ieu and Adam were getting forward well down the flanks and delivering some decent crosses as we searched for the opener. At the opposite end Talysarn struggled to get forward but looked dangerous from set pieces at times but some stern defending meant they had little by the way of any clear cut chances. The visitors, up against it with a really strong wind in their faces, looked to slow the game down at every opportunity in a bid to get to half time level and once again had their keeper to thank on the half hour mark. Andrew raced cleared one on one, his effort was well saved but the ball looped off the glovesman and looked to be heading in but the covering Talysarn defender did remarkably well to hook it off the line, the ball fell kindly to Andrew who had a second bite at it but the same defender produced an incredible block off the line. Despite our early dominance we had nothing to show for it and for the rest of the half the visitors found their feet in the match and played to their strengths, utilising their big target men to keep hold of possession and get them further up the field as we started trying to force the issue and struggled to create for the rest of the half. 0-0 half time.

With some stern words ringing in the ears after the half time break we started the second half in perfect fashion. Ieu Lloyd went on a trademark maurading run down the right wing and delivered a superb ball in to the box which was met by Andrew, the keeper uncharacteristically made a mess of his attempted save and the ball found its way in to give us a deserved lead. The goal settled us down and despite the gale force wind and driving rain in our faces we started to play some good football with Connor,Billy and Matty involved further up the field in some dangerous positions. Jenks and Gaz remained alert at the back as Talysarn looked to go more direct and Gav stayed strong at set pieces as he held on for a clean sheet. The visitors had a great chance to level matters just before the hour as their target man, Chops, broke clear down the left, he did well to fizz a ball across the face of goal with the number 8 preparing for a tap in but Gaz Wyn did superbly well to intervene when facing his own goal and turned the ball clear of danger. It seemed to be the warning sign we needed to push us on to put the game beyond our opponents as moments later, Ieu Lloyd again went bursting down the right, beating two men with his pace, from the touch line he picked out Gary Bolton centrally about 20 yards out, his first touch allowed him to steady himself and his second was a shot that left the keeper stranded as it sailed over him and dropped into the net. Talysarn threw caution to the wind with just under 25 minutes to go and as they did the gaps appeared for us to hit on the counter attack. Adam had a great chance when he was put through from a great through ball from midfield but the keeper made a good save down low and from the rebound his follow up effort was cleared by the covering defender as it inched towards goal. As the game entered the final quarter the conditions continued to worsen as the rain lashed down with the wind getting stronger but we stayed resolute at the back and in Ieu Lloyd we had a player who was causing havoc down the right hand side as time and time again his direct running got us high up the field and gave the defenders and midfielders some much needed respite. Harper, Nath and Karl were brought on to bring some fresh legs into the side as everyone had put in an good shift on a heavy pitch and all 3 were involved in some good passages of play as we looked to run the clock down and keep the ball as far away form our own box as possible, the final stages of the game were managed well and we held onto the clean sheet and took another valuable 3 points. Full time 2-0 man of the match Ieu Lloyd.

Yesterday wasn't pretty at times in atrocious conditions but it was a case of 3 points and job done as it could have turned out to be a lot trickier than it was. The second half was managed well by the lads and it not for some fine goalkeeping in the first half we could have been out of sight early on. We stayed patient and stuck to our game plan and were rewarded in the end. The back four along with Gav deserve a mention for a hard earned clean sheet and in particular Ieu who is showing great levels of consistency at the moment down our right! The run continues and it's now 5 wins out of 5 in 2017 and 7 wins on the bounce since our last defeat! Next week we travel to Blaenau for another league game before we take a break from league action and move into cup games. Thanks yesterday to the large number of supporters who braved the elements and were there showing their support.

Key moments

Goal Andrew Jones scores for Aberffraw
Goal Gary Bolton scores for Aberffraw


View 0 new events
90:00 Player of the Match
Ieuan Lloyd is awarded player of the match for Aberffraw
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Gavin Roberts keeps a clean sheet for Aberffraw
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Stephen Jenkins keeps a clean sheet for Aberffraw
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Gareth Hughes keeps a clean sheet for Aberffraw
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Ieuan Lloyd keeps a clean sheet for Aberffraw
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Iwan Roberts keeps a clean sheet for Aberffraw
80:00 Sub On
Karl Taylor is substituted on for Aberffraw
80:00 Sub Off
Adam Hallybone is substituted off for Aberffraw
75:00 Sub On
Nathan Moore is substituted on for Aberffraw
75:00 Sub Off
Gary Bolton is substituted off for Aberffraw
65:00 Sub On
David Harper is substituted on for Aberffraw
65:00 Sub Off
Andrew Jones is substituted off for Aberffraw
60:00 Goal 2 - 0
Gary Bolton scores for Aberffraw
60:00 Assist
Ieuan Lloyd makes an assist for Aberffraw
47:00 Goal 1 - 0
Andrew Jones scores for Aberffraw
47:00 Assist
Ieuan Lloyd makes an assist for Aberffraw
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Aberffraw
  • Talysarn Celts
  • 0
  • Andrew Jones Goal 47:00'
  • Ieuan Lloyd Assist 47:00'
  • Gary Bolton Goal 60:00'
  • Ieuan Lloyd Assist 60:00'
  • David Harper Sub On 65:00'
  • Andrew Jones Sub Off 65:00'
  • Nathan Moore Sub On 75:00'
  • Gary Bolton Sub Off 75:00'
  • Karl Taylor Sub On 80:00'
  • Adam Hallybone Sub Off 80:00'
  • Ieuan Lloyd Player of the Match 90:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results



Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bodedern Athletic 22 56
2. Aberffraw 22 54
3. Bontnewydd 22 50
4. Bro Goronwy 22 38
5. Menai Bridge Tigers 22 34
6. Nefyn United 22 34
7. Llanystumdwy 22 31

Team sponsors


Club sponsors