Culmore Youth FC

Culmore Youth FC

Culmore U12s draw at home to Bright Stars U12s

by Eugene Burns

Stuttering Culmore U12s fail to hold lead

The match started with some Culmore early pressure on but no-one seemed to be able to get a shot on goal and Bright Stars then started to take hold of the first half. First with a break on the left at was cut out by Eoin McMullan.

Culmore won a corner on the Bright Stars left following a cross from Ruairi O'Boyle. The ball broke from the corner however symtomatic of the teams performance on the day the midfield lost out in a challenge and BrightStars broke only for Eoin McMullan to again get back and clear the danger.

The heavy pitch did not assist either team play passing football but Bright Stars seemed to adjust better in the first half. James Lynch's touch deserted him when in on the left on a number of occasions. Morgan Murray put a shot wide of the keepers right post.

Jack Duffy gathered from a Bright Stars shot from distance.

A Eugene Burns' flicked header from a Ruairi O'Boyle throw was gathered by the keeper. James Lynch couldn't meet a cross from the right.

Eugene Burns gave a free kick away in midfield and the shot from distance was gathered by Jack Duffy.

The half finished with a long range shot from Morgan Murray that was gathered by the Bright Stars keeper who had spent the first half largely untroubled. Nil:Nil at half time but Bright Stars had probably edged the first half on the balance of play.

At the start of the second half a throw on the Bright Star's left found Morgan Murray. The ball ran to Ruairi O'Boyle who shot only for the keeper to save putting the ball out for a corner.

The corner found Eugene Burns in the box who rolled the ball to Jack McLaughlin cutting in on the right. Jack's shot was cleared at the back post.

Rachel Barnaby became an increasing threat on the right wing throughout the second half for Culmore.

Brightstars then broke in the middle but Eoin McMullan showed his superior pace and strength to again get back and clear the danger.

Brightstars then pushed forward on the Culmore left but a sliding tackle from Ruairi O'Boyle cut out the danger.

Brightstars then created a chance from a corner on the Culmore left that Jack McLaughlin cleared at the back post.

Culmore then caused some consternation in the Bright Star's box from throws headed on by Eugene Burns and won a few corners.

From one of these throws on the Bright Stars left Eugene Burns headed on to Morgan Murray who turned and hooked the ball in from 10 yards. 1:0 to Culmore on 41 minutes.

James Lynch came off limping on 42 minutes and Dermot Magee came on.

Jack McLaughlin was replaced on 44 minutes by Rian Norby.

On 47 minutes Eugene Burns turned a defender quickly to shoot on goal only for the shot to go a foot wide of the keeper's left hand post.

Eugene Burns was replaced on 52 minutes by Cian Connolly.

Bright Stars then got a deserved but fortuitous equalizer when Jack Duffy the Culmore Keeper missed a clearance and left the Bright Stars forward free to put the ball into the empty net.

The referee then blew up for full-time 2 minutes early and the match finished 1:1.

This was a very poor performance from the U12s who were second to the first ball, second to the second ball and in the end found themselves matched by a hungrier Bright Stars team who sit top of the league albeit having played a game more than Culmore. 4 weeks without a game clearly was no preparation for this top of the table clash.


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


or Register to add a comment

Team Sponsors