Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Denbigh Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Denbigh Town Football Club
Sat 4 Aug 14:30 - Pre-season Full time Attendance 60

Comfortable win for Town in last friendly

Denbigh Town FC 4- 0 Greenfield FC

Denbigh welcomed Greenfield FC of the Lock Stock Welsh Alliance League One to Central Park for their last friendly before the start of the Huws Gray Cymru Alliance next week. After having had some promising friendlies in the close season they were now looking to build on the progression they have made in that time against a Greenfield team that finished fifth in the league below Denbigh last season.

Denbigh’s joint managers Dewi Llion and Matty Jones had to make changes from the team that played Prestatyn Sports in the week as Joel Hewitt picked up a nasty ankle injury and could be out for some time. Seventeen year old Sion Jones started as did Jake Walker with Mark Roberts being unavailable. Bailey Jackson returned to the side in defence.

From the start Denbigh had control of the game and a pin point cross by Sion Jones reached the head of Jake Walker who should have scored from eight yards but his header was straight at the Greenfield keeper. Minutes later Bailey Jackson sent in a cross from the byline and this time Walker headed in to give Town an early lead.

Denbigh v Greenfield 4.8.18
48 photos

On 22 minutes Jackson was fouled on the edge of the Greenfield penalty area. Tom Jones took the kick and found the towering Tony Davies on the far post whose header gave the keeper no chance to give Denbigh a two goal lead.

Referee Graham Hannah then judged a sliced clearance from a Greenfield defender to be a back pass, much to the indignation of the Greenfield team and supporters. Justice maybe prevailed as the Denbigh free kick was blocked and cleared.

The impressive Ross Weaver was proving to be a playmaker and he found Lewis Sirrell who made a deft pass to Jake Walker. Walkers’s shot from 10 yards was well saved by the keeper once again who had a busy afternoon.

Denbigh’s defence was coping well with the Greenfield attacks and whilst the opposition did have attempts on goal the defensive trio of Miles Todd, Tony Davies & Curtis Langton were proving to be great protection for Town’s keeper Craig Vernon. When Vernon was called into action he dealt with everything safely and confidently.

Ross Weaver left the field on 40 minutes as a precautionary change for Scott McHarrie to replace him.
Just on half time Denbigh thought they had a third when great play again by Bailey Jackson saw him send another cross over for Jake Walker to head in but this time he was judged to be have been just offside.

The second half saw Sam Jones come on for Sion Jones who had had an impressive half when he was involved in a lot of the action.

Lewis Sirrell created a chance for himself early on as he evaded a couple of challenges and shot only for his attempt to go just wide.

Greenfield had a few chances but Denbigh’s defence always looked comfortable and in control.

In the 60th minute Denbigh got their third when Jake Walker flicked a ball over a defender to Sam Jones who lobbed the ball over the keeper into the net.

The fourth came four minutes later and it was Sam Jones again linking well again with Jake Walker as Walker fed a ball which split the Greenfield defence and Jones ran onto it, shimmied and shot inside the far post. The two Summer League top goalscorers have now managed a brace each in the last two games.

Greenfield’s attack did bounce back and Craig Vernon was called upon to pull a fine save on 70 minutes. They persevered all afternoon but their chances became more limited as the game progressed.

Denbigh’s midfield were still in control of the centre of the park with Sam Downey and Scott McHarrie working well together and putting in some dangerous balls to their forwards. McHarrie was unlucky not to get the fifth when his fierce drive was blocked by a defender and bounced out for a corner.

Downey should have made it five when Denbigh were awarded a penalty on 86 minutes. However his well struck penalty brought out a great save by the Greenfield keeper and the game finished in a 4-0 win for town

Joint Manager Matty Jones commented afterwards “ This was another good test of the lads and shows the good progress we have made over the last few weeks since the new squad got together. The game was good preparation for the season ahead with us keeping a clean sheet and scoring four goals today, making fourteen over the last three games. We controlled the game for long periods today and it stands us in good stead for the Gresford game on Friday”.

The real test starts with the first game of the Huws Gray Cymru Alliance season which is on Friday 10th August when Denbigh take on Gresford FC at Central Park. Kick off is 7.30pm.

Denbigh Town
Craig Vernon, Miles Todd, Curtis Langton, Tony Davies, Bailey Jackson, Ross Weaver, Lewis Sirrell, Tom Jones, Jake Walker, Sion Jones, Sam Downey. Subs – Sam Jones, Scott McHarrie

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Videos and photos

Denbigh v Greenfield 4.8.18
48 photos

Team selection

Vernon, Craig Vernon, Craig
Todd, Miles Todd, Miles
Langton, Curtis Langton, Curtis
Sirrell, Lewis Sirrell, Lewis
Davies, Tony Davies, Tony
Jackson, Bailey Jackson, Bailey
Downey, Sam Downey, Sam
Weaver, Ross Weaver, Ross
Walker, Jake Walker, Jake
Jones, Sion Jones, Sion
Jones, Tom Jones, Tom

Team sponsors


Club sponsor