Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Denbigh Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Buckley Town
Denbigh Town Football Club
Sat 10 Nov 14:30 - Cup Full time Attendance 147

Ten men Denbigh deservedly progress to Third Round of Welsh Cup

Buckley Town 1- 3 Denbigh Town

A battling Denbigh performance saw them take the honours at the Globe in a JD Welsh Cup tie that saw Denbigh finish the game with ten men. With Buckley going into the game favourites to win with them being eight places higher than Denbigh in the Huws Gray Cymru Alliance League, Denbigh’s game plan paid dividends with them going into the hat for the next round of the prestigious competition.

Striker Mark Roberts started the game having recovered from his recent injury and Scott McHarrie returned to midfield after serving his one match suspension.

Denbigh started the stronger of the two teams and two Jordan Barrow’s long throws into the penalty area had the Buckley defence under pressure in the first few minutes. Whilst the defenders cleared their ranks in both instances, Denbigh’s intention was clear to see. A Barrow free kick from just outside the penalty area found Tony Davies on the far post and his shot on the turn brought a comfortable save from Joe Makaruk in the Buckley goal.

At the other end Miles Todd came to the rescue to thwart a Buckley attack with a great clearance. Buckley’s Adam Eden had a shot from 20 yards but this went over the Craig Vernon’s crossbar in the Denbigh goal.

With 10 minutes gone Denbigh’s Sam Downey pass found Mark Roberts near the penalty area. As he progressed goalwards he was fouled in the D and Jordan Barrow stepped up to take the free kick. His well struck shot sailed past the Buckley wall into the net giving Makaruk no chance.

Denbigh continued to put pressure on the Buckley goal with Pat Hinchcliffe being the source of several attacks. Hinchcliffe is growing in stature game by game and had his best game since returning to these shores from New Zealand. He had several strong runs down the right wing and produced some great crosses which saw Buckley’s defenders struggling to contain him. Mark Roberts was on the end of one of these crosses on 25 minutes with a diving header which went just wide of the post.

As the half progressed, Buckley began to have more of the ball. Shaun Tinsley was proving a handful for Denbigh’s central defenders Curtis Langton and Tony Davies and he had a couple of half chances of his own making. For a ten minute spell Denbigh were camped in their own half and yet during this time Vernon’s goal was never under real threat and Buckley’s attempts on goal were restricted to long shots which went wide of the target.

Buckley were forced into an early substitution when Phil Molyneux replaced Chris Roberts on 30 minutes. Ex Denbigh player Molyneux had a great chance to equalise on 44 minutes when he was put through with just Craig Vernon to beat, only for Tony Davies to put in a tremendous challenge to thwart his foray.

From the resultant short corner Adam Eden moved into Denbigh’s area and shot. His shot was blocked and the ball fell to Josh Jones who instinctively shot but not with much power. Somehow the ball went over the line with Craig Vernon diving in vain to keep the ball out.

Denbigh almost regained the lead when Jordan Barrow crossed for Tony Davies whose header went into the side netting and the sides went in 1-1 at half time.

The second half started like the first with a Jordan Barrow’s long throw causing a threat on the Buckley goal. This time a Buckley defender got his head to the ball but sent it goalwards and he was relieved to see it hit the post and bounce away to safety.

At the other end Adam Eden sent a dangerous low cross across the Denbigh goal but no Buckley forward was on hand to make the all important contact. Now it was Buckley on the front foot and they won a free kick on the edge of the Denbigh box. The well directed kick went round Craig Vernon’s wall and the keeper had to dive to make a fine save to keep the sides level.

Minutes later and Denbigh were ahead 2-1. Pat Hinchcliffe did some sterling work down the right wing and his cross found ex Buckley striker Mark Roberts who turned and shot into the net from 10 yards.

Now Denbigh were having the majority of the play and were forcing corners and putting more pressure on Makaruk’s goal. Scott McHarrie and Sam Downey were controlling the midfield and putting pressure on Buckley's defence. On 68 minutes Denbigh got their just reward for their hard work when Lewis Sirrell shot with venom from 25 yards and the ball whistled into the back of the net. This was Sirrell’s first goal for the Club who has become a favourite with players and fans since joining the Club in the summer. 3-1 to Denbigh and they appeared in control.

However within five minutes of the third goal Denbigh's full back Bailey Jackson received his second yellow card of the game for a rash challenge and had to leave the field.

Immediately Denbigh changed their line up with Lewis Sirrell dropping to left back and Sam Jones replacing Pat Hinchcliffe as they looked to keep their two goal lead. A further change was made on 84 minutes with the hard working Mark Roberts being replaced by Tom Jones as Denbigh looked to play the game out.

Buckley looked to take advantage of the extra man and the talented Adam Eden played a ball for Jake Roberts to shoot but his attempt was well blocked by Miles Todd. Denbigh made their third substitution with Jake Walker replacing Jordan Barrow who appeared to have collected a wrist injury. Walker was immediately in the action and fed a great ball for Sam Downey to run onto from the half way line. Downey reached the penalty area with the ball only to be challenged by a Buckley defender. Denbigh claimed a penalty but the referee Mr Smallman was having none of it and waved play on.

With Buckley piling on the pressure Tony Davies intercepted the ball in his own half and seeing the opposing keeper off his line shot from within his own half only to see the ball go out for a goal kick.

A minute later the referee blew the final whistle and Denbigh were through to the third round.

This was a great all round team performance from Denbigh with every man giving their utmost on a heavy pitch. Joint Manager Matty Jones said after the match “We went into the game with a game plan and it worked. We showed great character and determination and are looking forward to the draw for the next round”

Buckley Town FC
Joe Makaruk, Luke Douglas, Chris Roberts, Josh Jones, Rhys Hewitt, Luke Blizard, Aron Williams, Aled Bellis, Shaun Tinsley, Keiron Moore, Adam Eden: Subs- Jake Roberts, Phil Molyneux, Tom Gunson, Liam Schofield

Denbigh Town FC
Craig Vernon, Miles Todd, Bailey Jackson, Curtis Langton, Tony Davies (Capt), Scott McHarrie, Lewis Sirrell, Sam Downey, Mark Roberts, Jordan Barrow, Pat Hinchcliffe: Subs – Jake Walker, Sam Jones, Tom Jones, Marios Avraam, Sion Jones

Referee – Arthur Smallman

Attendance - 147

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Team selection

Vernon, Craig Vernon, Craig
Todd, Miles Todd, Miles
Langton, Curtis Langton, Curtis
Sirrell, Lewis Sirrell, Lewis
Davies, Tony Davies, Tony
Jackson, Bailey Jackson, Bailey
Hinchcliffe, Pat Hinchcliffe, Pat
McHarrie, Scott McHarrie, Scott
Barrow, Jordan Barrow, Jordan
Roberts, Mark Roberts, Mark
Downey, Sam Downey, Sam

Team sponsors


Club sponsor