Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Denbigh Town Football Club


First Team - Match centre

Denbigh Town
Sat 1 Apr 14:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time Attendance 187

Denbigh's winning streak halted at Y Traeth

Denbigh travelled to Porthmadog in great form after winning four games in a row.

The sun shone brightly over Y Traeth as Denbigh started well. The front two of Bull and Swarbrick were on form and made life very difficult for the Port defence. A flowing move in the 7th minute saw Bull, Hassall, Swarbrick and Pritchard all involved as the ball was scrambled out for a corner. The Denbigh pressure paid dividends in the 12th minute as Hassall won the ball in midfield, beat his man and fed Swarbrick on the edge of the box. Swarbrick still had a lot to do but the in-form Denbigh marksman jinked passed a Port defender then curled in a beauty from 18 yards.

This sparked Port into life and a long ball was coolly dealt with by Nash, with a shot from long range going just wide. After weathering a brief Port fight back, it was Denbigh who burst forward and extended their lead. On 23 minutes Craig Pritchard made a great run down the right flank, cut into the area and crossed low to Alan Bull who side-footed the ball into the corner of the net. On the half hour, Swarbrick again twisted and turned in the Port box but his rocket shot whistled over the bar. Unfortunately, that was to be his last part in the action as an injury forced him off the field, with young Andy Thomas replacing him. Port laboured in the April sunshine and seemed to be limited to long range efforts, which were ably kept out by Hill-Dunt. Just before half-time Port made a break-through with a goal by Sion Bradley. This lifted them and they peppered the Denbigh goal until the half-time whistle blew. Although, Hill-Dunt deserves a special mention for an unbelievable double save from point-blank range.

The second half started in a similar vein as Denbigh livewire Pritchard kept causing Port all sorts of trouble with his runs and ball-control. Andy Thomas also threatened as he broke into the box but flashed a shot just wide of the near post. Denbigh were controlling possession and looked like adding to their tally, but it was Port who struck. Nash gave away a free-kick mid-way in the Denbigh half for pulling back his opponent. From the resulting free-kick it was Port’s Dan Roberts who rose highest and planted a firm header into the Denbigh goal. All level after 67 minutes and both teams now fancied their chances to grab a winner.

The end-to-end action was then halted on 75 minutes as Denbigh’s Jack Riley (pictured) went down injured, which resulted in a lengthy stoppage. Jack was stretchered off the pitch and was taken to hospital by ambulance. This obviously unsettled the Denbigh players and it was Port who cranked up the pressure in the final 15 minutes. Denbigh’s young defence stood firm from a barrage of crossed balls and shots. However, in injury time the constant Port pressure told as Meilir Williams fired in from close range following a goal-mouth scramble.

As disappointing as the result was, all our thoughts are with Jack as we hope his injury isn’t as bad as first feared and he makes a full and rapid recovery. Our First team’s final league game is on Wednesday 12th April as we welcome Llanfair to Central Park.

Win a share of £250k for your club

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Guilsfield 30 43
9. Holyhead Hotspur 30 42
10. Denbigh Town 30 38
11. Ruthin Town 30 33
12. Penrhyncoch 30 31
13. Llanfair United 30 25
14. Mold Alex 30 25

Team sponsor


Club sponsor