Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Denbigh Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
FC Queens Park
Denbigh Town
Sat 14 Apr 14:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time

Denbigh coast to victory

Queens Park 0 - 3 Denbigh Town

Denbigh travelled to Queens Park’s ground at Stansty Road, Wrexham as they looked to carry on their progress up the Huws Gray Cymru Alliance. They came out comfortable winners in a win that sees them climb to third place.

Manager Eddie Maurice-Jones changed his side following the recent win against Porthmadog as he looked to give players game time with a heavy schedule of fixtures over the next two weeks. Joel Hewitt, Corey Smart and Warren Duckett started the game with Ben Nash, Matty Cook and Andrew Swarbrick on the bench.

Denbigh started well with Hewitt breaking down the right wing sending a great low cross across the Queen’s Park penalty area but neither forward’s Duckett or Matthew Worrell could get on the end of it. Seconds later Duckett was involved when his looping shot just sneaked over the Queens’ Park bar.
On 6 minutes Denbigh took an early lead when some fast low passes started with Hewitt finding Rakim Newton whose low cross found Duckett on the far post who laid a ball for Craig Pritchard to fire home from 6 yards.
Rakim Newton was involved again when he dribbled round his defender found Matthew Worrall who turned well and shot just past the keeper’s left hand goal post.
However minutes later Newton found himself with a yellow card after he jumped in front of Queen’s Park player taking a throw in – an act referee Andy Harmes deemed obstruction as he felt Newton’s action was unsporting – a decision which mystified spectators on both sides.
Whilst Queen’s Park had some chances near Denbigh’s goal, Towns keeper Keighan Jones was mainly involved with back passes from his solid defenders Liam Smith, Dan Sullivan and Joel Hewitt. Queens Park's main threat came from Matty Williams who was winning several aerial battles with all three defenders.
They had a great chance to equalise when following a rare slip by Smith, Queen’s Park winger Tom Williams raced down the right wing and he laid a great ball for Matty Williams whose shot was blocked by Sullivan and went out for a corner.
With this scare Town re-established their possession dominance and where unlucky not to go two up when Gareth Partridge fed Duckett whose great flick found Worrall who crossed for the incoming Joe Culshaw who arrived a later too soon and was unable to direct a more telling shot on goal as his attempt was blocked by ex Denbigh player James Etherington.
Denbigh’s second came on 37 minutes after Tom Williams needlessly fouled Town’s Joe Culshaw on the edge of the Queen’s Park area. Culshaw took the free kick and sent a delightful ball in to the back post where Duckett headed across goal for Dan Sullivan to be on hand to tap in from close range.
Following the break Liam Smith had a shot which fired just over the bar before Queens Park had their best chance when Tom Williams crossed for Shaun Cartwright’s contact to just clip the bar and go over for a goal kick.
Denbigh responded with Duckett doing some great work twisting and turning before his shot was blocked for a corner. Culshaw’s corner found the head of Worrall who laid it on for Rakim Newton on the six yard line. Somehow he managed to get his foot under the ball and he fired well over from what should have been Town’s third goal.
With 60 minutes gone Maurice-Jones made a double substitution with Matty Cook and Andrew Swarbrick replacing Corey Smart and Matty Worrall.
On 65 minutes Denbigh put the game to bed when Duckett laid the ball on for Pritchard to score a truly amazing goal with some brilliant footwork. He picked the ball up on the 18 yard line facing his own goal, turned in an instance, flicked the ball through an oncoming defender’s legs, gave himself another touch before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of net.
With Pritchard celebrating his 21st birthday the day after the game, what an early birthday present – a brace of goals.
Ben Nash came on for Gareth Pritchard on 70 minutes with Maurice-Jones now content with the fact the game was won.
Pritchard though was looking for his hat trick and was unlucky to see a 25 yard drive just fly over the bar.
Queen’s Park had a chance to pull a goal back on the last minute when with Denbigh on attack they broke at speed and sub Liam Mansell found himself in acres of space only for him to fire well wide of Keighan Jones’ goal.
With Denbigh looking to continue with their winning ways their next game is the local derby at Central Park against Rhyl on Wednesday 18th April - kick off 7.30pm. This will be Rhyl’s last game of the season and the first time the two teams have met in a league fixture at Central Park for over two decades.

QP v Denbigh Town 14.4.18
42 photos

Queen’s Park
Richard Coweroy, James Etherington, Andrew Hughes, Matty Williams, Andrew Elms, Nicky Chester, Adam Roberts, Charlie Rowley, Tristin Wagner, Shaun Cartwright, Tom Williams, Subs : Liam Mansell, Tomas Bunclark.

Denbigh Town
Keighan Jones, Liam Smith, Joe Culshaw, Dan Sullivan, Joel Hewitt, Corey Smart, Rakim Newton, Gareth Partridge, Matthew Worrall, Warren Duckett, Craig Pritchard. Subs: Andrew Swarbrick, Matt Cook, Ben Nash, Kristian Pierce, Jon Hill- Dunt

Referee – Andy Harmes - Rhyl
Attendance - 50

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Videos and photos

QP v Denbigh Town 14.4.18
42 photos
QP v Denbigh Town 14.4.18

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

Caernarfon Town
Ruthin Town
Holyhead Hotspur

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Caernarfon Town 28 65
2. Denbigh Town 28 60
3. Airbus Broughton 28 54
4. Guilsfield 28 53
5. Holywell Town 28 50
6. Rhyl 28 47
7. Porthmadog 28 44

Team sponsors


Club sponsor