Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Denbigh Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Ruthin Town
Denbigh Town
Tue 21 Aug 18:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time Attendance 381

Derby defeat for Denbigh

Ruthin Town 2-1 Denbigh Town

Ruthin Town took the honours in the eagerly awaited local derby played on a warm sunny evening at the Memorial Gardens, Ruthin. Denbigh entered the game after two defeats and were looking for their first points of the season but Ruthin deservedly came out on top in a game that had its feisty moments.

Ruthin won the toss and elected to play with a strong sun behind them in the first half. With only five minutes gone Denbigh’s left wing back Lewis Sirrell was bundled over in the penalty area only for the referee to waive play despite appeals from Denbigh’s players and travelling supporters. At the other end Ruthin’s Llyr Morris pounced onto a loose ball and his shot whistled over the Denbigh cross bar.

Denbigh then had their best spell of the game with Mark Roberts and Sirrell linking well with Roberts sending over a dangerous cross which Denbigh could not capitalise on. Shortly after Sam Jones had a good move off his own as he weaved his way into the Ruthin penalty area only for his shot to go just wide of the Ruthin goal. With 17 minutes gone the energetic Mark Roberts crossed for Tom Jones only for the cross to just evade Jones’ head.

As the half progressed Ruthin had chances with Osian Davies crossing to the head of Ryan Jones whose header landed on the roof of the Denbigh. On 22 minutes came the best chance of the game as the ball found Ruthin’s Llyr Morris in the six yard box whose shot brought out a fantastic save from Denbigh keeper Craig Vernon with fans of both sides acknowledging the save.

Vernon was called into action in the 31st minute to foil Morris again by this time diving to his right and finger tipping the ball away for a corner.

Denbigh responded and had good possession for periods of the game with Sam Downey and Sam Tate being influential in midfield. However the Denbigh midfield could not get the elusive ball past the well drilled Ruthin defence with young Lewys Turner excelling in his new found role alongside the experienced Kevin Evans.

Ruthin’s pressure paid off for them on 42 minutes when Denbigh could not get the ball out of their half and the ball fell to Ryan Jones who coolly placed a well struck shot past the arms of Vernon and into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The second half started with Denbigh looking to peg back the score. Sam Jones did some god work down the right wing but his cross was safely gathered by Ryan Goldstron in the Ruthin goal. Denbigh then picked up a couple of yellow cards within minutes of each other for fouls by Miles Todd and Sion Jones.

Denbigh joint managers Dewi Llion and Matty Jones looked to change things as early as the 55th minute and introduced Scott McHarrie and Rhys Llwyd for Sion Jones and Sam Tate.

However on 60 minutes Ruthin were awarded a penalty for a rash challenge on Ruthin’s Cai Davies. Llyr Morris stepped up to take the penalty but once again he was foiled by Denbigh’s Craig Vernon diving low to his right hand side and palming the ball away for a corner.(see photo above)

This spurred Denbigh on for a while and Lewis Sirrell found Rhys Llwyd who played Sam Jones in only for his shot to go wide.

Ruthin stepped up a gear and on 70 minutes, Llyr Morris finally beat Craig Vernon for Ruthin’s second goal with a great turn on the edge of Denbigh’s box and firing in a well placed shot which Vernon could nothing about this time.

Denbigh’s last change of the evening came on 81 minutes when the hard working Sam Jones was replaced by Jake Walker.

It was Walker who proved a threat when he was fouled on the edge of Ruthin’s area on 88 minutes. Tom Jones placed the ball for a free kick which he curled round the Ruthin wall and away from the outstretched arms of Goldston to give Denbigh a glimmer of hope in the last few minutes.

However Denbigh were unable to get the equaliser and Ruthin managed to play the game out and take the three points.

Denbigh joint manager Dewi Llion said after the game “This was a tough result to take as we did’nt create enough chances in the final third of the field. We had good spells of possession, but could’nt find a way through Ruthin’s defence.”

Denbigh’s next game is against Bangor City at Central Park on Friday 24th August with a 7.45pm kick off

Ruthin Town
Ryan Goldstron, Dafydd Evans, Mathew Evans, Lewys Turner, Kevin Evans, Ilan Hughes (Capt), Cai Davies, Osian Davies, Llyr Morris, Ryan Jones, Gwion Owen, Gwydion Ifan . Subs ; Gwydion Ifan, Adam Harvey, Wil Owen, Mathew Williams, Craig Wilkinson

Denbigh Town

Craig Vernon, Sion Jones, Lewis Sirrell, Miles Todd, Tony Davies (Capt), Curtis Langton, Sam Downey, Tom Jones, Sam Jones, Mark Roberts, Sam Tate Subs – Rhys Llwyd, Sam Cartwright, Scott McHarrie, Jake Walker, Pete Lloyd

Team selection

Vernon, Craig Vernon, Craig
Todd, Miles Todd, Miles
Davies, Tony Davies, Tony
Jones, Tom Jones, Tom
Langton, Curtis Langton, Curtis
Sirrell, Lewis Sirrell, Lewis
Jones, Sion Jones, Sion
Tate, Sam Tate, Sam
Jones, Sam Jones, Sam
Roberts, Mark Roberts, Mark
Downey, Sam Downey, Sam

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

Buckley Town
Prestatyn Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Conwy Borough 14 16
11. Gresford Athletic 14 16
12. Denbigh Town 13 16
13. Penrhyncoch 14 14
14. Holywell Town 14 12
15. Prestatyn Town 14 11
16. Holyhead Hotspur 14 6

Team sponsors


Club sponsor