Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Denbigh Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Denbigh Town
Sat 13 Oct 14:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Full time Attendance 76

Disappointing result for Denbigh

Denbigh Town FC 3 – 4 Guilsfield FC

After an encouraging performance a week ago against league leaders Airbus Broughton in the League Cup, Denbigh returned to League football against mid-table Guilsfield hoping to carry on with a similar performance. The Town knew this was a game they needed to win to start moving up the table, but despite lots of effort and commitment they fell short on the day.

Following heavy overnight rain and a forecast that promised further heavy showers, a pitch inspection was carried out on the Saturday morning and the pitch was deemed playable.

Curtis Langton returned to the team at left back with Miles Todd and Tony Davies continuing in the centre of defence. Lewis Sirrell moved into midfield and Jake Walker dropped to the bench. Promising youngster Owen Evans stepped into the squad following some impressive performances for the Reserves and he was also on the bench.

Denbigh started the game playing against the strong gusts of wind which did have an effect on the game in parts. Guilsfield used this to their advantage creating two early chances with one shot going into the side netting and Craig Vernon having to be alert to pull off a fine save to keep the game scoreless.

Denbigh came into the game on 15 minutes when Mark Roberts was played through and wrong footed ex-Denbigh keeper Mike Jones to slide the ball home to give the home team a 1-0 lead.

Guilsfield responded well and once again Vernon was called upon to bring out a great save tipping the ball over the bar for a corner.

Pat Hinchcliffe was coming more and more into the game as he gets back to match sharpness. He sent a great delivery into the box on 22 minutes which Denbigh forwards could not capitalise on and then shortly after he was on the receiving end of a Sam Jones ball when he crossed only for Guilsfield’s defence to clear for a corner

As the half progressed Guilsfield were gaining more and more possession and Vernon had to dive low to save off a Stuart Rogers shot. The pressure was telling and on 38 minutes from a free kick conceded by Town for a foul in a dangerous position, Adam Jenkins sent the free kick into the box which got a deflection from Steve Blenkinshop and Guilsfield were level.

Into the second half and with 54 minutes gone Denbigh were 2-1 down after some sloppy play in midfield saw them losing the ball and Adam Jenkins was able to break through and score.

Denbigh’s management duo, Matty Jones and Dewi Jones made a double substitution on 60 minutes with the aim of pegging the goal back. Jake Walker and Tom Jones replaced Pat Hinchcliffe and Sam Jones.

The game then moved into a stop start affair for a period as neither team could get a firm grip on the game. The defining moment came on 77 minutes when the ball was played into the Denbigh penalty area. A Guilsfield forward shot and it hit a Denbigh defender at point blank range. Guilsfield appealed for a penalty, the referee shook his head and then he saw his assistant flagging for hand ball. After a quick discussion the penalty was awarded much to the indignation of Denbigh’s defenders. Jack Harris stepped up and blasted the ball straight down the middle of the goal with Vernon diving to his left hand side.

Two minutes later and Denbigh were four down when the unfortunate Miles Todd deflected a low shot across the box into his own goal.

Despite this Denbigh still pressed forward. Third substitute Sion Jones crossed well and it evaded Mike Jones in the Guilsfield goal but landed on the roof of the net. On 88 minutes Town had the ball in the net when skipper Tony Davies rose higher than anyone else to head home from 6 yards, but this appeared too late to affect the outcome.

Denbigh’s keeper Craig Vernon was then involved in a nasty collision and appeared to turn his ankle. After some lengthy treatment the game resumed and in the 96th minute Tony Davies headed in his second of the game.

A minute later however it was all over and Guilsfield came out deserved winners 4-3

Joint manager Dewi Llion Jones said after the game “This was not the result or performance we wanted after last week’s game where we did so well. We did’nt reach the levels today that we’d set ourselves. We have a home Welsh Cup Tie next week and have to put in some hard work though out the week to be fully prepared for this game”

Denbigh Town FC
Craig Vernon, Harri Lovett, Curtis Langton, Miles Todd, Tony Davies (Capt), Scott McHarrie, Sam Jones, Sam Downey, Mark Roberts, Pat Hinchcliffe, Lewis Sirrell. Subs – Sion Jones, Tom Jones, Jake Walker, Owen Evans, Pete Lloyd

Guilsfield FC
Mike Jones, Callum Bromley, James Parry, Stuart Rogers, Sam Litchfield, Robbie James (Capt), Adam Jenkons, Steven Blenkinsop, George Clifton, Jack Richards Subs- Curtis Weetman, Nathan Leonard, Chris Catherall, Jack Harris

Referee – Aled Rhys Williams
Assistant – Charley Smith
Assistant – Andy Dogan

Attendance - 76

Team selection

Vernon, Craig Vernon, Craig
Lovett, Harri Lovett, Harri
Todd, Miles Todd, Miles
Sirrell, Lewis Sirrell, Lewis
Davies, Tony Davies, Tony
Langton, Curtis Langton, Curtis
McHarrie, Scott McHarrie, Scott
Hinchcliffe, Pat Hinchcliffe, Pat
Roberts, Mark Roberts, Mark
Jones, Sam Jones, Sam
Downey, Sam Downey, Sam

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

Prestatyn Town
Buckley Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Llanrhaeadr YM 14 18
11. Conwy Borough 15 16
12. Denbigh Town 14 16
13. Prestatyn Town 15 14
14. Penrhyncoch 15 14
15. Holywell Town 15 12
16. Holyhead Hotspur 14 6

Team sponsors


Club sponsor