2nd XV - Match centre

Devonport Services
Sat 18 Feb 15:00 - Friendly Full time

Devonport Services II 20 ~ Tiverton II 18.

Won right at the last whistle.

Tiverton must have been gutted at this result, leading 18~15 in to the last moments of the game they lost 20~18 through a super try made by the wise head of veterans veteran Nick Burt.
To be fair, Tiverton are five places higher than us in the league, but having played four more games. I thought that they were just the better side on the day, though that we were not the better side was down to us being a little disjointed and never really settling down as a team.
In the first half we were much stronger in the scrums, pushing and wheeling them at will, in the second half the scrums evened up somewhat. I thought they were better in the loose and their back were well organised.
They opened the scoring with a score close in when one of their forward made a break down the middle, was stopped five yards short but managed to get the ball away for the try. Rhys Williams collected a penalty for us to close the gap to 3~5, with our scrum so much stronger I thought we would win reasonably easily, I was wrong.
We took the lead after a scrum on their line that ended up with Shaun Palmer who made it over the line the wrong way up but had the presence of mind to touch the ball down over his head.
They then took the lead with a try that looked odd from the other end of the pitch. 
They had a scrum on our line, the ball seemed to squirt out sideways, went to their winger who made a few yards around our defender, who looked as if he had been planted and unable to move, and to touch down. I think he was as much surprised as I was where the ball had come from. 8~10. They lost their scrum half with a cracked collar bone
Half time.
We started the second half with a bang and really put the squeeze on them, nineteen minutes in to the second half we got well in to their twenty two and won a scrum, it went to a ruck which they stole from us, they allowed the ball to go loose, Dan Edgecombe snaffled it and shot in under the cross bar. Rhys Williams converted and we retook the lead at 15~10.
For the next fifteen minutes we played quite well and looked worthy of our lead.
They counter attacked with determination, and looked as if they might score, but a super piece of work by Pete Arbour in the centre who managed to steal their ball a few feet short of the line and drive out with it so we could clear our lines saved the day.
A short while afterwards they managed to get a line out close to our line after we gave away a couple of penalties, a catch and drive later and they scored but missed the conversion. 15~15.
Five minutes later they put over a penalty to re-take the lead. It looked as if we had lost at the death.
Up stepped Nick Burt, we attacked their line and won a couple of decisions, lineouts and scrums, then in what turned out to be the last attack, the ball got to Nick six meters out, he had the wisdom to hold the pass for a split second then slip it to Rhys Williams who was coming through on his inside at speed with a gap in front of him, from the second that he held on to the pass it was going to be the winning try, and so it was. It should have been an easy conversion but the ball fell over, instead of replacing it with the referees permission he tried a drop goal that went neatly between the posts but on the wrong side of the cross bar.
All round a good result. it was a shame that we we never really able to get our runners running in open space, if we had we should have won more easily.


Videos and photos

2nds v Tiverton,H
53 photos
2nds v Tiverton,H over 4 years ago

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors