Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Dulwich Hamlet Football Club


Do they mean us?

9 months ago By Mishi Morath

Time for another look at the opposition internet reports..

The last match we covered on here from an opposition perspective was the Velocity Trophy tie away to Staines Town, which was back on Tuesday 19th September.

As we travel back to Wheatsheaf Park on Saturday for the return Bostik League Premier Division clash we thought it was time to catch up on what others thought about us....

On 23rd September we had our biggest victory of the season, at home to Leatherhead:

Hamlet Hammer Tanners

After getting knocked out of the velocity cup on Tuesday and losing top scorer Chike Kandi, the tanners needed to pick up the pieces from a fairly miserable fortnight with three points. Looking to get in their way was a Dulwich Hamlet side who had one win in their last three games. Two familiar faces
were present at the game with D’sean Theobalds re-signing for the Tanners and Nana Boakye-Yiadom (who scored against Hamlet in the 1-1 draw last season) on the bench playing for Dulwich.
The action started as soon as the game kicked off with a goal within the first five minutes. A lapse in concentration from Leatherhead’s back five saw Muhammadu Faal with a one on one with Zaki Oualah. The English centre forward smashed the ball from outside the box finding the top corner of the net.
This didn’t affect the tanners to much and were on top for periods for the game with seven first half shots to Hamlet’s five. However they were unable to capitalise and did not have the clinical, cutting edge of the Hamlet, who found themselves two goals behind
in 23 minutes thanks to the captain, Kenny Beaney, who placed the ball into an open net after Lee Minshull gave the ball away to Nyron Clunis on the edge of the box who picked out Beaney in the six yard box.
Whilst the greens trailed, they did not give up and continued to pile the pressure on Gavin Rose’s side. Yannis Ambroisine saw his shot blocked off the line as he stabbed a loose ball from a corner goalwards - it looked a certain goal and was desperately unlucky from a Leatherhead perspective.
However, Leatherhead’s hard work was just not paying off. Jack Midson worked tirelessly winning knock downs for the greens but nothing would work as they chased after Dulwich. The pinks held onto their two goal lead and added another just before half time. Muhammadu Faal finished a great team move with a pass into an empty net adding a goal to his tally for the day. Once more, the Tanners bounced back and came so close to getting one back. Jack Midson played in Tom Richards who powered the ball towards the back post where Sean Clohessy stretched for it and, only just making contact, clipped the post.
The half drew to a close with the tanners 3-0 down. In an attempt to launch a comeback, Sam Blackman and D’sean Theobalds came on at half time.
The second half continued as the first did.
The Tanners had a penalty shout when Niall Mcmanus was bundled over but referee Peter Cruise was unmoved and the game continued. It wasn’t long after the controversial foul that Dulwich found the back of the net for a fourth time. Nyren Clunis with the goal
this time that would surely seal the victory for Hamlet. He stayed calm in the box and finished off Dumaka’s cross.
The game finished with a final Dulwich chance as Dumaka smashed the Leatherhead crossbar. The Hamlet number 9 saw the ball drop sweetly to him and was egged on by the Pink fans. He powered the ball on the half volley in the last few minutes of the game.
This result for Dulwich leaves them sixth in the league. Leatherhead meanwhile drop to eleventh.

This was followed by two victories away from Champion Hill. A midweek trip across London in the rush hour, to Harrow Borough, where a late strike was enough to see us return south of the river with maximum points...

A draw would have been a fair outcome from this terrific evening’s entertainment, but a superb 81st minute free-kick from Dulwich’s Carew meant that the three points headed to South London.

With George Moore continuing in his unfamiliar right-back berth (and again performing well in it), the only change to Saturday’s starting line-up was the return from injury of Kurtis Cumberbatch, with Mark McLeod dropping to the bench. Harrow began with some slick passing, and a lovely move involving Charles Banya, Shaun Preddie, Anthony O’Connor and Reis Stanislaus ended with the ball played to Michael Bryan, in the inside-left channel on the edge of the box, but his careful side-footer went narrowly over. Preddie then turned onto O’Connor’s pass and shot wide. The first action at the other end saw Melvin Minter save at his near post from Beaney’s strike. When Arinse Uade didn’t get tight enough on Clunis, it allowed a cross that Dumaka volleyed over.
Good work by Stanislaus and O’Connor set up Bryan to shoot wide, and when Cumberbatch drove forward, it took a fine tackle by ex-Earlsmeader Chambers to stop O’Connor as he moved onto his pass. At the other end, Adam Richards showed his tackling skills in stopping Carew after a neat Hamlet build-up. Dumaka had the ball in the net for the visitors but the assistant’s flag had gone up. Chambers stopped a Stanislaus effort, and Weatherstone arrived at the near post to head over from Carew’s corner. Moore tried his luck from distance with a free-kick, but it was a great shot and went only narrowly wide. When O’Connor was felled on the very edge of the box, Bryan got the free-kick up and over the wall and onto the top of the bar. Banya got briefly clear of Chambers but was denied by an outrushing Edwards, and an exciting half ended with Dumaka heading narrowly wide from Taylor’s cross.
The second half began with Moore rescuing a Curtis Ujah error with a fine tackle. Harrow broke upfield rapidly, and O’Connor fed Banya. Edwards parried his shot but was nonetheless relieved to see the ball screw off the post, and O’Connor couldn’t adjust his feet quickly enough to dispatch the rebound. O’Connor and Preddie were off target with decent efforts, before Kargbo shot wide for Dulwich. The visitors then broke rapidly up the left, Carew turning Moore but dragging his shot just wide of the near post. Moore put a free-kick across the goalmouth that just needed a touch, before Cumberbatch fed Bryan, whose near-post cross was met by O’Connor who was tackled well as he shot. The same player headed wide from the resulting corner. Dulwich again made a pacey break forward, with skipper Beaney ending it with an effort wide of the mark.
In the 80th minute, Cumberbatch, who may have been tiring on his return, needlessly gave the ball away in midfield, and Uade took down the breaking Boakye-Yiadom, picking up the night’s only yellow card. The free-kick was at least 30 yards out, but Carew bent it over the wall and past a flailing Minter, who might look back and think he had positioned himself a couple of yards too far off his line.
The visitors nearly doubled their lead with a Ferguson header wide, and a Clunis break stopped by a brave challenge from Richards. Searching for the equaliser, Banya climbed at the far post to head Bryan’s delivery over, and when Ujah headed on a corner (Harrow won the corner count 13-2), Richards met it with a powerful header that was blocked on the line. Moore’s follow-up shot was blocked too. Dulwich broke upfield and Minter saved from Ferguson, but the final goal attempt was another from the hosts, a terrific Moore free-kick that just eluded his colleagues as Edwards saved.
Harrow have probably only played better once this season, at Wingate, and if they continue like this the win that has eluded them now for seven matches can’t be far away. Next up is the long journey to Lowestoft Town this Saturday.
Finally, after the physicality of the last home game, and the embarrassing ‘handbags’ that were part of it, how good it was to see a full-on competitive game nevertheless played in a sporting manner. When Kargbo caught Stanislaus with an accidental kick to the head in the first half, it was good to see no-one else get involved, and the two players embrace in the follow-up. An excellent performance from referee Mr Donnellan should also get some praise in this regard.

Just over a week ago we ventured down to the South Coast to take on Worthing, albeit at their temporary home at Bognor Regis Town, which culminated in another awayday win :

Pope sees red as Dulwich ease to victory at Nyewood Lane

A goal in each half was enough for high-flying Dulwich Hamlet to secure the three points over 10-man Worthing who had skipper Ben Pope sent-off.
Ibrahim Kargbo’s deflected strike gave the visitors the lead in the first half and despite plenty of efforts during the second period they only added to their tally when Nyren Clunis’ neat turn and shot found the net with just over twenty minutes remaining.
Pope was shown a straight red card in the 81st minute for a lung on Kenny Beaney having taken a heavy touch – a rush of blood that will now see the captain miss three matches.
Kieron Pammant made a return to Worthing having played under Adam Hinshelwood during his first spell at the club and after good early interplay between himself, Pope and Reece Meekums, Pammant was way off target with his eventual effort.
A mistake by Alfie Young nearly gifted Dulwich the lead as he sold Ross Edwards short, presenting the ball to Kargbo who fed Clunis to tee up the onrushing Ashley Carew who drew a good save from Lucas Covolan.
The scoreline didn’t stay level for long though as just before the half hour mark Kargbo struck. Worthing dealt with the initial cross into the box but after Beaney’s knock down dropped 25-yards out his central midfield partner unleashed a shot that took a heavy deflection and flashed past Covolan.
Kargbo let fly from distance once more before the half was out, narrowly off target on this occasion though and despite having the majority of possession during the opening 45 minutes the visitors had to settle for just the one goal lead at half time.
Worthing’s best moment came from a free-kick early in the second period that Sam Rents took and forced a good save from Preston Edwards.
Unfortunately that was as good as it got for the home side and on 68 minutes the visitors doubled their lead. Carew helped the ball round the corner to Clunis and as Young attempted to pinch it, the lively front man was able to turn his man and drill a low shot inside the near post.
For the remainder of the game and after Pope’s dismissal Dulwich continued to press for more goals but Covolan denied Kargbo and Clunis their second of the game and Gavin Rose’s men had to settle for a 2-0 scoreline that saw them move up to third in the table.
Worthing once again competitive but remain bottom and winless going into Wednesday’s league fixture with Leatherhead.

And on Saturday we overcame Needham Market, back in our pocket of South-East London.

Marketmen beaten on the road.

Two first half goals saw Needham Market lose their second away league game in the week in front of a huge crowd of 2417 on Non League Day.
Saturday's 2-0 loss at high flying Dulwich Hamlet made it three defeats in a week for the Marketmen, with a host of injuries and misfortune and hampering their season so far.
In front of a bumper crowd of 2417 at Champion Hill, two first half goals ensured Dulwich continue to pile the pressure on league leaders and big spenders Billericay Town.
Needham welcomed new signings Adam Mills and Mikhail Hastings into the starting eleven. Mills, having signed from Sudbury earlier on in the week, had the games first chance when his header was saved.
But, as the half progressed the hosts began to have chances of their own. Nyren Clunis and Nana Boakye-Yiadom both had opportunities to score when well positioned.
Danny Gay had to be at his best to deny Nathan Ferguson on 20 minutes as the breakthrough appeared imminent.
Having set his sights previously, Ferguson made no mistake with a strike into the bottom corner, from outside the penalty area on the half hour mark.
Needham were handed a golden chance when Marc Weatherstone clattered into Jack Simmons in the penalty area. However, Preston Edwards produced a fine save to deny Mills.
The Reds were left to rue this missed opportunity and on the stroke of half time Dulwich doubled their advantage. Boakye-Yiadom with a smart finish, from a Ferguson through ball.
Half Time: Dulwich Hamlet 2-0 Needham Market
After an exciting first period, the second half was a bit of an anti-climax in comparison.
'The Pink & Blue Army' looked content with their 2-0 lead and although they had few further efforts on goal it was plain sailing for them.
Luke Ingram, who played in defence, midfield and as a striker in this match, brought a good save from Edwards late on.
Full Time: Dulwich Hamlet 2-0 Needham Market
Needham have a timely break now and are without a game on Saturday. Their next match is away at Hendon on Tuesday 17th October.

Where next?

Swanning around... It's our second visit of the season this Saturday, 14th October, to Staines Town, this time for a return Bostik League match
Yesterday we shared a piece from The Times Also included alongside that article was a piece on Hamlet man Nathan Ferguson.

5 sports clubs amongst winners in the Jewson Building Better Communities competition.

Sat 4 Aug
First XI Welling United
League 15:00
Wed 8 Aug
League 19:45
Sat 11 Aug
First XI Concord Rangers
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors