Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Dulwich Hamlet Football Club app


Dulwich Hamlet 0-2 Bath City

1 week ago By Liam Hickey

If it wasn't already clear to everybody that The Hamlet are in a relegation battle then it cannot be denied any longer.

For the Dulwich team line-up visit here.

Another home game, another home loss, another record crowd with hundreds locked out of the stadium, but still no nearer to finding the form required to stay in the Vanarama National League South.

There is a simple formula to defeating The Hamlet that is now obvious to everybody in the league, and that is merely to keep it tight and wait for them to make a mistake. That's not to say that an impressive Bath City side didn't do a whole lot more than that, but in the end for all their creative play The Hamlet made the errors that eventually presented them with the points.

In terms of the Dulwich team, the pack was shuffled again but the result was the same and it's clear that the time is now running out for a number of players and that reinforcements are urgently required.

Jacob Erskine, a man who has barely played a competitive game in two years was included in the side in place of Akinyemi, and Nyren Clunis found himself consigned to the bench, in a clear sign that there are barely any guaranteed places in the team.

Anyway, on to the match itself, which Bath City dominated as they moved the ball around the pitch impressively from the start, a confidence born of being one of the league's form sides. In contrasts, The Hamlet played without the confidence of their visitors but there were still some positives to take from the performances of individuals.

Early chances came for Bath with Adam Mann firing wide in the 4th minute and then Efete seeming to have a good chance but he decided to try to get Cheick Toure sent off rather than score, instead finding his name in the referee's book for one of the more obvious attempts at "simulation" seen.

It was all Bath in terms of chances and a couple of headers off target were disappointing ends to good chances.

The rather cobbled together nature of the Dulwich line up was reflected in the lack of any flowing football, but eventually they conjured up a chances when Dan Thompson was played in on the left and, when he checked inside, he seemed to momentarily create a gap inside Clarke's near post. Howwever, the Bath keeper just about managed to get his foot across in time.

The best move of the half came in the 31st minute as the flowing football we have come to expect at Champion Hill briefly reappeared. Preston Edwards started it and the ball was moved swiftly by Jason Banton and Ashley Carew through to Anthony Cook. Howwever, his cross was too close to Clarke.

Three minutes later, the visitors had their best chance of the half as they opened up The Hamlet defence to leave Smith unmarked and with just Edwards to beat. However, he delayed his shot and Michael Chambers got back to block and Preston Edwards had time to retrieve the spinning effort before it got to the goal.

Dulwich created another opportunity four minutes before half time as Ashley Carew played another delightful ball inside the left full back to Anthony Cook, this time his cross reached Nathan Green at the far post but he could only head at Clarke.

Back came Bath and Preston Edwards had to produce a fine save from a close range volley after Stearn had lifted the ball into the box following a mesmerising number of stepovers.

Half Time 0-0

The second half began with little change as Bath continued to produce some excellent flowing football but couldn't create a clear opening, although Preston Edwards had to fly to his left to keep out a cross come shot from Stearn.

However, after that bright opening, the game became scrappy and bogged down in midfield as both sides failed to create anything of note until Bath took the lead in the 73rd minute following more shocking defensive play.

A long straight ball into the box was not headed clear, and then should still have been hooked clear, but instead it was left for Smith to beat Preston Edwards with a rising drive from the edge of the penalty area.

The game was then settled in the 81st minute by a calamitous mix up between Michael Chambers and Preston Edwards that saw the Hamlet centre half delay clearing a long ball over the top and then head over his own keeper and into the goal, with Stearn trying to get a touch before the inevitable own goal.

This put the game way beyond The Hamlet and they need to regroup quickly to turn their form around.

Final Score 0-2
Attendance 3104

Updated 19:34 - 6 Jan 2019 by Liam Hickey

Where next?

THREE IN AS CHANGES START The club has completed three signings today and they are all available for this evening's match
Vanarama Big Day Out 5 Details of Vanarama Big Day Out 5 including The Vanarama National League Promotion Final have been released.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Sat 19 Jan
League 15:00
Sat 26 Jan
First XI Chelmsford City
League 15:00


Club sponsors