DRFC U14s - Match centre

Sun 18 Dec 09:30 - Friendly Full time

Dunbar U14's 74 - 24 Berwick U14's

Breaking News: Dunbar Coaches Spontaneously Combust!!


Dunbar u14's entertained Berwick in their first fixture of the season at Winterfield as the seconds pitch was frozen. On a lovely cold but sunny morning Dunbar kicked off towards the sea. The first half was an even affair with the visitors very strong at the breakdown and the scrum. However Dunbar took the lead after five minutes through a characteristic Finlay Darrah hammer blow. The conversion was missed. Berwick came forcefully back and scored a long range effort from the inside centre who showed awesome pace outstripping all Dunbar players including speedster full back Andy Taylor to score under the posts.

The conversion was kicked. Minutes later Dunbar fell further behind when a Berwick forward crashed through putting Dunbar 5-12 in arrears. But the green team were starting to even things up at the breakdown and secured better ball than the lads in black. Calum Morgan showed his tremendous presents scoring under the posts, the kicking being converted by Jack Young and then again forced his way through the visitors defence. First section 17-12.

Dunbar fitness a feature of the season took greater influence. Darrah scored another converted try. Then Azhar Rashid as dependable as ever ripped the ball out of a maul and set up scrum-half Ewan Stark who jinked his way past tiring Berwick defence and then drove his light frame determinedly over the line under the posts, converted by Young.

Complacency crept in to the green team and tackles were missed in worryingly large numbers allowing two trys to be conceded, one of which straight from the restart. At which point the home teams coach spontaneously combusted. Dunbar realizing the visitors had something still in the tank had to knuckle down.

Josh Stewart on for Taylor (who had urgent footballing matters to attend to) struck, sprinting around the edge of the away teams defence and again Young did the extras.

The visitors now visible getting to the end of their tether let their emotions momentarily get the better of them after what had been a tough but fair encounter up to then A Berwick player was asked to take a short breather. Ref Gareth Pickles correctly nipped things in the bud by giving both teams a lecture as did the coaches and both teams responded amicably. Second section 38-24.

The third section was all green. Dunbar's power/fitness never wavered. First Morgan blasted through, and then Stewart, one converted by Young. Then Morgan on the right side broke clear and outrageously side stepped the oncoming Berwick fullback and scampered under the posts. Young converted. No 8 Matty Pickles got on the end of a great move to score but belatedly got it chalked off for a foot in touch earlier in the move by Darrah.

Minutes later Darrah added to his tally. Then a ruck twenty meters out in front of the posts saw the ever improving Jack Simmons spotting a hole in the ruck and forged his way through. Stewart converted. The final score saw Stewart out pacing an out on their feet visiting team to score near the corner.

Final Score Dunbar U 14's 74 Berwick U14's 24

Dunbar had to dig deep and dig deep they did against a strong and physical side. Again we rely too much on Morgan and Darrah to score our trys. There is plenty of talent not being used at the moment and it is being left on the training ground. Discipline was very good when things got heated and they showed great maturity in solving problems by themselves out on the field. Well done, but there is still more in the tank.


Videos and photos

Dunbar u13 v Berwick u13
27 photos
Dunbar u13 v Berwick u13 over 4 years ago

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors