Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Duns Rugby Club


Seconds score 93 points at Dalkeith

5 years ago By Derek Simpson

15 tries as Duns remain unbeaten in league

Angus Hunter reports from King's Park.

A lively match that started and finished with a flourish, well refereed by Colin Alistair.

In the 8th minute Duns conceded a penalty for holding but the resulting kick was caught by James Weir and passed to Iain Sim whose solo jinking run to the right corner post resulted in Duns getting early points on the board. The try was unconverted. 0-5 to Duns.

On the 10 minute mark Duns made the best use of a tap penalty and Jacob Cotton ran in an excellent try which was converted by Euan Reed taking the score to 0-12 to Duns.

Within another minute we were treated to yet another spectacular try by Iain Sim from a run started by Stevie Crawford, which was duly converted by Euan Reed taking the score to 0-19.

On the 15 and 20 minute marks we had two more converted tries from Iain Sim moving the score to 0-33 to Duns. Both these tries were jinking probing runs from young Iain which the opposition had absolutely no answer to.

At about the 25 minute mark Dalkeith were awarded a penalty. They took the kick but missed and failed to score. This was quickly punished by a rapid attack and run again by Iain Sim resulting in a converted try now taking the score to 0-40

All credit to Dalkeith that although this sounds a one sided match the home team kept coming at Duns and were rewarded with an unconverted try in the 28th minute now taking the score to 5-40. At this point Duns took off James Thorburn and Nathan Chisholm came on.

At the 30 minute mark there was a charging run this time from Dane Ivison whose try was unconverted. Stewart Calder came off and Michael Burns went on.

We were treated to one more try from Duns before half time, again a penetrating solo run by Iain Sim taking his tally at half time to 6 tries equalling the club record. The try was converted by Euan Reed.

Half time score 5-52.

Much to Dalkeith's relief Iain Sim was temporarily substituted at half time! Lewis Hughes came on.

Dalkeith hadn't given up though and shocked Duns by coming immediately out of the blocks at the start of the second half to score an unconverted try taking the score to 10-52. Their try was by their veteran prop forward David Dalgleish at 62 years of age.

They came at Duns again in the 48th minute and scored a try which was duly converted taking the score to 17-52.

Two minutes later Duns struck back with a splendid determined try from Tom Swan and it was converted by Euan Reed to now move the score to 17-59.

No stopping Duns now and on the 53 minute mark a great solo run from Greg Gillan gave Duns anther try which wan't converted,

The only low point in the game came on the 57th minute when Greg Gillan came off injured after a dump tackle preceded by a two footed slide tackle. The result was Dalkeith's full back was red carded and Dane Ivison was immediately substituted because of a little retaliation. This calmed the situation down and the game continued without incident.
At this point Iain Sim came back on and Michael Burns went off.

On the 61st minute Dalkeith scored another try which again was unconverted. The score by then was 22-64.

On the 65th minute after battling courageously for the line Duns No:8 James Weir got downward pressure on the ball to score another try in the right hand corner for Duns. The try was unconverted and the score moved to 22-69.

Almost immediately from the restart we were treated to yet another of Iain Sim's runs which resulted in a try which was duly converted by EuanReed.

Not to be outdone 2 minutes later a solo run from Tom Swan from the halfway line added more to dalkeiths misery. Again this great ry was converted by E Reed who had an excellent day of kick conversions. Score 22-83

On the 71st minute it was that man again Iain Sim - not content to now be holding the club record with 7 tries ran in a try from inside Duns half to take his personal tally to a new club record of 8 tries. the try was unconverted and the score went to 22-88

They think its all over, well it is now!!! In the dying moments of the game Daniel Wright ran in an excellent try just to rub salt in the wounds of Dalkeith. The try was unconverted and the final score was 22-93

Although this sounds a little like a one sided game it was far from that and all credit to Dalkeith for their fortitude. They never gave up and never stopped coming at Duns who had to play rugby for the whole of the match.

Many congratulations to Iain Sim on an impressive performance and it is plainly obvious why this young man has been selected for Scotland Trials. Well done. However it wasn't a one man show and all star players are only as good as the team around them. Duns as a team played well together and most importantly played FOR each other. An impressive and enjoyable team performance.

Where next?

Duns begin New Year with win at Hawick Linden Border Regional Shield success at Volunteer Park
Wins for both Firsts and Seconds Major milestones reached in both matches


Loading comments

Sat 31 Mar
Duns 1st XV North Berwick RFC
League 12 – 11

News sponsors


Club sponsors