ORIGINS OF FLEETWOOD R.U.F.C.
The commencement of a Fleetwood Rugby Team goes back over 80 years, but it wasn't until 1932 that a club was officially registered with the Rugby Football Union as Fleetwood Old Boys (of Fleetwood Grammar School). The 'Old Boys' title was subsequently dropped in the early 50's.
Prior to the 1939-45 War the Club used a number of grounds, but immediately resumed its activities after the War and settled at its present location with one pitch and a small clubhouse by arrangements with the landlord, the Fleetwood Cricket Club, who in turn lease the whole site from Wyre Borough Council.
In 1962 a new clubhouse was built, using its own entrance to the ground, but continuing to use the pitch as before. The clubhouse was extended and improved during the next ten years using old RAF huts from a local camp, the members enthusiasm and expertise.
Major redevelopment was undertaken in 1976 when a sixty year lease was drawn up with the Cricket Club and Wyre Borough. This allowed the main pitch to be resited and a second pitch and training area introduced. These two pitches are now supported by two further pitches half a mile away on King George V Memorial playing fields which are rented from the council.
At this time phase one of our development was begun by replacing much of the existing wooden club house and replacing this with a brick building. Concurrently, the committee has improved its grounds and has an on going policy of improved pitch drainage. The club possesses all its own ground equipment.
The Chairman and Committees of recent years have striven to maintain a programme of repair and refurbishment as well as new extensions and improvements to all aspects of the clubhouse which has three bars as well as excellent changing/shower facilities.
Through two lottery awards, a grant from the FSA and Sportsmatch, the club has extensive facilities which cater for male and female members. A weights room, physio-treatment room and excellent car parking are just some of the facilities on offer.
In 1998 a 55x35 metres floodlit all weather pitch was built on site giving an all year round facility for training and coaching.
The introduction of a Mini/Junior section in 1991 has gradually mushroomed into a very large and important section of the club. This was helped by the First team winning the Provincial Insurance Cup at Twickenham in 1993 as well as subsequently gaining promotion through the leagues. Following several later reorganisations of the league structure they played in the North 2 West League for two seasons and are now playing in North Lancs Cumbria.
The Ladies section was formed in 1996 and was awarded League status by the RFUW in 1997. The team has gained promotion in two consecutive seasons as well as being losing finalists in the National Junior Clubs Cup. From September 2000 they have played in the National Challenge Division One North. Currently the club are working with the local council in providing 13-16 year old girls rugby in the local High Schools.
The club has toured Canada and the USA and has hosted teams of seniors and juniors from South America, Canada, U.S.A., South Africa and Europe. On a regional level it has hosted numerous representative matches male and female at various age groups.