Frickley Athletic FC

Frickley Athletic FC

Northwich Victoria 2-2 Frickley Athletic

by Steve Pennock

Twice behind, the Blues battled back to take a deserved share of the spoils in a lively encounter at Northwich.

Northwich Victoria 2-2 Frickley Athletic

Manager Peter Rinkcavage brought in Ian Bennett for Danny Walsh, and Michael Simpkins in the middle of the defence.

It was Vics who were the first to threaten, Ryan Wade volleying just wide from 18 yards in the tenth minute, and it was the same home striker who cut inside from the right before putting his effort from 12 yards off target after 28 minutes.

Two minutes later, a right wing corner kick from Alex Callery was flicked on by Bennett and Lincoln Adams, who had linked up with the attack, lifted the ball over at full stretch from six yards.

Back came Northwich, Wade curling in a 20 yard shot which came back off the right hand post a minute later and Ian Kearney heading against the top of the bar from a right winger corner in the 32nd minute.

The pressure paid off five minutes later when Lewis Short beat Adam Billard with a scorching 25 yard drive which whistled into the bottom righht hand corner to put Vics in front.

Frickley almost got on terms in the 43rd minute when a short free-kick from Callery found James Ashmore and his curling 20 yard effort was deflected behind, and two minutes later a flag kick by Callery from the right was flicked on and Adams again lifted his effort over the top.

Five minutes after the interval, the Blues were level, Jack Watts being pulled down in the box and Mark Whitehouse making no mistake from the resultant spot kick.

Ashlery Longstaff and Watts combined smoothly on the edge of the penalty area in the 53rd minute, Watts putting a 25 yard volley inches wide, while Stuart Ludlam then picked out Bennett who also went close.

Frickley were having the better of exchanges and, on the hour, Bennett burst through the middle and found Watts, whose flicked shot beat goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe, only to come back of the left hand upright.

Having weathered the storm, Vics responded, Wayne Riley getting away from James Kay in the 67th minute and cutting the ball back for Nathan Wolfe to hit the target and restore their advantage.

The Blues continued to create, Whitehouse threading a penetrating pass through to Longstaff, who held off a defender before rifling the ball into the net from the edge of the penalty area to tie the scores after 72 minutes.

A tight angled shot from Longstaff was kicked off the line by Hinchliffe in the 81st minute and, from the resultant corner, Lee Bennett's header was cleared off the line by Dominic Collins.

Michael Clarke almost stole it for Vics in the 88th minute but his effort landed on the roof of the net.

Northwich: Ben Hinchliffe, Cliff Moyo, Lewis Short, Dominic Collins, Ian Kearney, Kyle Armstrong, Wayne Riley (Tony Evans 85min), Michael Roddy (David Fitzpatrick 79min), Michael Clarke, Ryan Wade, Nathan Wolfe (Paul Ennis 89min); unused subs, Adam Sumner, Joe Comozzi.

Frickley: Adam Billard, Stuart Ludlam, James Kay, Lee Bennett, Lincoln Adams, Michael Simpkins, Jack Watts (Bradley Grayson 62min), James Ashmore, Ashley Longstaff (Ollie Ryan 82min), Alex Callery, Mark Whitehouse. Unused subs, Danny Walsh, Leon Henry, Jordan Bradshaw.

Referee: Mr D Hunt

Gate: 345.

Other Premier Division Results

Rushall Olympic 1 0 Ashton United Att. 130
Stocksbridge Park Steels 1 0 Stafford Rangers Att. 172
Whitby Town 1 1 Mickleover Sports Att. 243
Worksop Town 0 3 Marine Att. 339
Northwich Victoria 2 2 Frickley Athletic Att. 343
Nantwich Town 0 3 Bradford Park Avenue Att. 292
Chorley 1 0 Buxton Att. 855
FC United of Manchester 1 2 Chasetown Att. 2,049
Hednesford Town 1 0 Chester FC Att. 1,009
Matlock Town 1 0 Kendal Town Att. 270
Burscough 1 2 North Ferriby United Att. 119

Team Sponsors