Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Garforth Town AFC


First team - Match centre

Garforth Town AFC
Guiseley AFC
Tue 7 Nov 19:45 - Cup Full time Attendance 146

Garforth Town 0-6 Guiseley AFC

A failure to deal with corners cost Garforth in the West Riding County Cup, as they fell 6-0 to Guiseley, report by Samuel Bannister

A failure to deal with corners cost Garforth in the West Riding County Cup, as they fell 6-0 to Guiseley.

Guiseley's Reece Thompson grabbed four goals, with Jean-Yves Koue Niate and Will Wells completing the scoring.

In the first half, Garforth made a good account of themselves, given they were playing a team from a whole four divisions higher. Town had a good chance on 9 minutes when James Beaston squared the ball to Jack McMurrough, who switched the play to Mitch Hamilton. Hamilton then played it to Calum Ward, who shot wide.

Thompson's first goal of the evening came on 18 minutes as after a good Pete Lawrie save from Callum McFadzean, the number 10 was able to bundle the ball home, making it 1-0 to the visitors.

From Garforth's own corner a few moments later, Ward had a shot put behind, and after, Lee Turner shot over from distance.

Ward had another chance when he shot from a central area outside of the box, with the goalkeeper off his line after dealing with a ball forward. However, the striker's effort went wide.

Guiseley began to raise the tempo and a good cross came in from the right, but Thompson could only head the ball into the ground, and Lawrie was able to claim.

Thompson was played through for the next chance, but his shot was tame and straight at the advancing Lawrie.

Next, Guiseley's Andrew Haworth received a great pass, and cut inside, before Lawrie saved his effort.

There was a dangerous Guiseley effort on 39 minutes, from distance, which went wide - but was a lot closer than it first looked.

Haworth continued Guiseley's momentum with a great cross, which was fingertipped away by Lawrie.

Just before the break there was some good passing play from Garforth, culminating in a Ward shot that went too high.

A powerful shot from Raul Correia set the tone for the second half, which the away side dominated. Whereas Garforth had done their best to compete in the first half, the next 45 saw them lose grip of the basics, and towards the last twenty minutes especially, the National League side's superior fitness levels kicked in.

Mark Simpson had an opportunity shortly after the restart after laying the ball off to Hamilton, who played him through, but Guiseley's Joseph Green made a good save.

On 51 minutes it was 2-0, with a goal from a cross that foreshadowed how the majority of goals would be conceded during the rest of the game. Captain Daniel Lowe crossed, and Thompson headed in for his second.

Guiseley sub Euan Mulhern struck from range next, and his shot was just wide.

On 60 minutes Beaston slid through Ward, whose low cross from the left was claimed by Green before Simpson could tap in at the far post. Just a minute later and it was 3-0 at the other end. Thompson latched on to a ball forward, before rounding Lawrie. It looked like he could have taken the ball too wide, but he still managed to put it in the back of the net to complete his hat trick.

On 67 minutes Garforth sub Luke Kitson got the ball out of his feet and crossed to Mark Simpson, who half volleyed the ball over. Sadly, it was probably Garforth's last real chance as the game slipped away.

It was 4-0 two minutes later, as Thompson converted after a corner. Another set piece would lead to Guiseley's fifth not long after, which was smashed home by Jean-Yves Koue Niate on the second ball.

Guiseley closed out the game with a couple more chances, for example substitute Tabish Hussain cut in from the left and his shot resulted in a corner on 82 minutes.

Once again it was a corner that undid Garforth just before time, with Will Wells using his strength to rise and head home for Guiseley's sixth.

Garforth will be disappointed with the result but appreciative of the quality on show from Guiseley, who played well and deservedly advance to the next round of the cup.

By Samuel Bannister


View 0 new events
65:00 Sub On
Jamie Reeson is substituted on for Garforth Town AFC
65:00 Sub Off
Mitch Hamilton is substituted off for Garforth Town AFC
65:00 Sub On
Luke Kitson is substituted on for Garforth Town AFC
65:00 Sub Off
Calum Ward is substituted off for Garforth Town AFC
End of period 1
36:00 Sub On
Matt Robertshaw is substituted on for Garforth Town AFC
36:00 Sub Off
Joshua Dacre is substituted off for Garforth Town AFC
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Garforth Town AFC
  • Guiseley AFC
  • 0
  • Matt Robertshaw Sub On 36:00'
  • Joshua Dacre Sub Off 36:00'
  • Jamie Reeson Sub On 65:00'
  • Mitch Hamilton Sub Off 65:00'
  • Luke Kitson Sub On 65:00'
  • Calum Ward Sub Off 65:00'

Team selection

Team sponsors


Club sponsors